Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foden boilers

+4
neil
hodgson246
Steam Traction World
KC
8 posters

Go down

Foden boilers Empty Foden boilers

Post  KC Fri 14 Nov 2008, 12:38 pm

Steve & Dean,

Please can you update us on the current progress of the Foden boilers.

Thanks
Kieran

KC

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty Re: Foden boilers

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Nov 2008, 11:09 pm

Hi Kieran

As you are probably aware, any pressure vessel the size of the Fodens boiler needs design approval before it can be made as a commercial endeavour. The approval is carried out by what called a 'notified body', in our case Royal Sunalliance. The design approval is quite an extensive dosier in this day and age if its done properly. It covers everything from the actual design, stress calculations, risk assesments through to construction and testing proceedures to the actual operating instructions. The approval has also to apply to the actual manufacturer, so even if a design has been around for a long time a new manufacturer has still to submit the design for approval. I'm pleased to report that RSA approved our design for the Foden boiler last week. I'm now in the process of obtaining quotes for the steel and laser cutting. The boiler barrel will need to come from Germany and should be ordered, either later this week or early next, once I've got some prices from the laser cutters. When I have a firm delivery date for that I'll move on to ordering the actual boiler plate. We're busy at the moment machining all the weld preps for the Burrell boilers. It is out intention to continue staight after with the Foden plates. As soon as I get some firm dates, I'll post the on the Forum to keep you advised.

Regards

Steve & Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 04 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm

Hi Foden Builders,

The boiler barrel material has been delivered (a photo is below) and the boiler plate work is due in any day. There are still a number of customers who have their initial boiler payment outstanding. Please pay this immediately so not to hold up manufacture and delivery for you and other customers. We will add an anticipated despatch date once we are slightly closer to actually starting the assembly.

Foden boilers Img_0410

All the best

Dean & Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty Foden Boiler

Post  hodgson246 Mon 25 May 2009, 10:28 pm

Hi Steve & Dean

It good to here that you are to make a start on the Boilers, I am still out standing a Manhole Cover
All the best paul

hodgson246

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 26 Jun 2009, 9:55 am

Hi Foden Builders,

Below are a few photo's of how the Foden Boilers are coming along. Royal Sun Alliance have visited and approved our procedures plus determined at what stage they require checking. All being well we hope to have a batch of boilers ready within approx 4 weeks.

Dean

Foden boilers Img_0618

Foden boilers Img_0619

Foden boilers Img_0620

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 27 Aug 2009, 4:56 pm

Hi All,

A photo of seven Foden boilers on test after being passed off by RSA today.

Two of these have already been allocated. If you have not been contacted recently and still require a Foden boiler then please feel free to get in touch.

All the best

Dean

Foden boilers Img_0211

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty Foden Boilers

Post  neil Sun 30 Aug 2009, 5:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Could you please post the overall dimensions (Length x Width x Height and Weight) of the foden boiler on the Forum. It will help us to determine the best way to collect them. I am hoping that it will fit in the back of a Landrover discovery, if not I will use my large van trailer in which case I may be able to collect more than one if there are any others that need delivering down South in Kent or the surrounding area.

Thanks,

Neil

neil

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty foden boiler

Post  greystones Sun 30 Aug 2009, 6:07 pm

Hi Niel, I collected mine in the back of a 750 Volvo estate. Had no problems getting it in or the ride back home. Hope this helps. Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sun 30 Aug 2009, 7:48 pm

Neil
The boiler is not that big its a short stumpy thing unlike my 4" burrell one. I have just been in the workshop for you and taking a rough measurement as it is in the foden the length is about 630mm and the width is 270mm and the height is 400mm i am unsure of weight but 2 people would easy lift it.

Hope its of some use
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty Foden Boilers

Post  neil Tue 01 Sep 2009, 12:03 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I will check tonight but hopefully I will be able to fit the boiler in the back of the Discovery and not have to use the large trailer. All I need to do now is to arrange collection from the boys at S.T.W. and start building!

Thanks again,

Neil

neil

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty FODEN BOILER

Post  gulfstream Wed 02 Sep 2009, 2:40 pm

Neil

A Foden boiler will certainly fit in a Discovery but it is heavy so you need to exercise care when lifting it, probably best to be lifted by at least a couple of strong people and I would suggest you place it on at least a 19mm thick board in the back of your Discovery otherwise it will probably damage the floor covering. I found that it was very heavy even when it was resting on the floor and I only needed to turn it over.

Paul

gulfstream

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Foden boilers Empty Re boiler photo

Post  Vapor Wed 02 Sep 2009, 4:05 pm

Dean,

Are you sure these boilers are on test, wont the air escape through the missing manhole covers??
Very Happy Laughing Smile Embarassed
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down