Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Varnishing

5 posters

Go down

Varnishing Empty Varnishing

Post  Kevster Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:33 am

Hi all,

Was wondering if its advisable to varnish the lining for a bit of protection, wasnt going to varnish all the paintwork just the lining.

Varnish or not ?what do you think?

thanks

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Varnishing Empty Re: Varnishing

Post  IanL Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:50 am

Hi Kevin,

I was also wondering if varnishing the pinstriping would be a good idea .

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 16 Oct 2011, 11:25 am

Funny enough I was experimenting with this yesterday. I can tell you that if you have a very shiny surface underneath which wasnt keyed before the lining went on you can scrape it off with your nail. To this end the cleading which just come back form powder coating has a really good finish but I have tried one piece with 600 wet and dry to key it, then pinstripe then a spray with a clear laquer. The finished effect is very good softening the edge of the lining but also protecting it greatly. I dont see how you could just paint a cover over only the lining without it looking crap ( to put it mildly). I wish I had done this with the tender and the belly tank but its too late now and I will just have to keep touching in as it needs. The previous engine had the same and most of the lining stayed on.

I would recommend a clear cover coat. Pictures will be posted shorlty but I want to get it finished first.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 16 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

I was thinking of masking almost to the lining then applying a thin coat of varnish, I think that would look ok.

Or maybe I should do the whole lot!

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 1:10 pm

I read somewhere not to varnish as it could be affected by the heat and over time looks bad and is hard to just touch up any damage. Has anyone out there had this trouble over time?

Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sun 16 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

It is definitely a good idea to varnish the lining (essential for gold leaf) as it will protect them against cleaning. It's no problem to put down some masking tape just shy of the line on the body colour and then brush the varnish over the lining. The fragility of lining is often highlighted by having it close to e.g. brass boiler bands and so the lining gets abraded during polishing. This is why nearly all engines have a black band next to the brass and on all exposed edges: it is easier to touch in a worn black edge than a lining colour.

I would not varnish the main body colours as it makes it very difficult to repair any subsequent damage to the paintwork.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 16 Oct 2011, 9:13 pm

Thanks Tim,

I will mask off just short of my lining then varnish.

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum