Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fusible plug

5 posters

Go down

fusible plug Empty fusible plug

Post  sonick45 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

Just interested what others have used to seal in the fusible plug on the firebox crown?

Will PTFE do the job..

I'm pretty sure it will but thought i'd check first.

cheers

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

fusible plug Empty Re: fusible plug

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm

It's what I used and the instructions tell us to use PTFE on the cylinder studs too so should be OK.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

cheers brian.

PTFE is used on full size just wanted to be sure as i didn't want to have to take it out once its in.

nick

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

Actually Nick, it's one thing you do want to be able to remove easily, when required (remember the STW Open Day!). It is worth investing in a dedicated socket and vertical extension bar to allow its easy removal with a ratchet handle or spanner without the need for putting your hand up in the (hot) firebox. A similar sort of arrangement is useful for the front filler plug in the tube plate. For this, I found a socket extension bar that fits the plug directly and allows the spanner to then be outside the smokebox. Spanners and sockets inside the smokebox have a nasty habit of messing up the plug head and you end up with both frayed knuckles and a frayed temper.

It is a good thing to take all the plugs out regularly for washing out and to inspect the fusible plug every year. I usually replace mine annually. Copper grease will also help to prevent the threads from sticking.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

fusible plug Empty Fuseable plug

Post  Steve Traill Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:13 pm

On the early engines the plug in the front tube plate was a cast square plug that a 3/8" extension bar fitted a treat. On some of the later ones the cast plug has been replaced with a brass/bronze hexagonal bolt that has a considerably bigger head on it.

It's a good idea to check the fuseable plug annually as I've seen them where the solder has started to melt, half run out & then sealed itself again. This could easily fail prematurely and 'dropping ones plug' as it is affectionatley known is a pain to correct and causes great merriment to everyone else on the rally field!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

I've had to "hot box" a plug before and believe me it's not fun.

STW openday was a classic example of what to do when you don't have the right tools to hand.
"improvise". it is the exact tool you metion Tim that we needed and I have now made one for my Loco.

Fitted the horns and front end today.
Tender tomorrow.

Then back to the shed to paint some more.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

fusible plug Empty Make sure the fusible plug goes fully home

Post  Julia Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:52 am

Make sure the fusible plug goes fully home

When I fitted my plug to my agricultural I discovered that it would not screw all the way home without cleaning up the threads in the boiler. The plug screws into a bush and the top of the plug must be at least level with the top of the bush inside the boiler. If not the plug sits in a pit which fills with sediment and this sediment is likely to reseal to plug when it should of gone.

As already stated check/replace the plug annually. It is also a good idea to pressure wash the inside of the boiler particularity above the crown and around the foundation ring. To get inside you may need to make a long extension for your pressure washer. I use 1/4" OD stainless pipe with a fitting at the end to send the squirt sideways. The first time you do it you will be amazed as to what come out! The plug in the front tube and those around the foundation ring are vital for access for this operation.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down