Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIRST STEAMING

4 posters

Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty FIRST STEAMING

Post  atomenter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:23 pm

Hi all
Just to let anybody now that is interested that I lit a fire in the Fodem today for the first time!! Lit it on wood only until pressure increase was seen then smokeless coal (bought at Warwick ME show) and then lumps of big "real" coal that had been given to all the entrants at Masham (even those not in steam)
Took over an hour to get to about 40psi (no chimney extension and no fan, then once the coal really started burning checked out water pump and injector. Both worked well (injector really only above 75psi) and on to lift the safeties. Kept pressure below 140psi with a roaring fire so it all looks good for a "real" steam test with a boiler inspector. Hopefully I can arrange this before the next rally at Crathes next week.
Only minor downside is that the engine will not run in reverse (althought it did rub backwards on air!) - minor adjustments needed.

TTFN

Regrads
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty Re: FIRST STEAMING

Post  forge Fri 12 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

Well done,
do you have any photos?

I have been tweaking a few things on my 2" burrell since i first lit a fire last weekend. the only problems for me are with the non return oil valve and the whistle, hope to sort those in time for another fire next weekend Smile . work is getting in the way this weekend Sad ...
forge
forge

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty All steamed up

Post  lynnr Fri 12 Aug 2011, 9:01 pm

Congratulations.

Sound like you had a very successful steaming. Some pictures would be nice.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty First Steaming

Post  atomenter Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the comments. No decent photos and I don't know how to iattach the short video that I made but here are a couple of stills from it.

FIRST STEAMING Still_12

FIRST STEAMING Still_13

Regards

Tom A

Lynn, will you be at the Deeside Steam Vintage Club Rally at Crathes next week?
atomenter
atomenter

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty First steaming

Post  Tony King Sat 13 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

Well done Tom, very successful first steaming, like the photo of the fire in the hole!!
Will you be taking you Foden to Crathes, what ever the outcome of steam test?
I'm hoping to go, but had Hernia op yesterday which couldn't be done with key hole surgery, so may be laid up for a little longer than I expected!!
Regards
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty FIRST STEAMING

Post  atomenter Sat 13 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

Hi Tony
I will definitely be at Crathes, been booked in for a while - if I am not able to steam then I am sure somebody will tow me around. That is what I did at Masham and Pickering - not quite the same but better than nothing.

Hope to see you there (hernia permittimng!!) I hope yours heals quicker than mine did from a few years ago!!

Regards

Tom A
atomenter
atomenter

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty Next weekend

Post  lynnr Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Hi Tom

Not able to on the saturday as I am towing the caravan from Inverness to St Andrews for my sister.
Is it a 2 day?
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty Crathes Rally

Post  atomenter Sat 13 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

Hi Lyn
Yes it is over the 2 days Saturday and Sunday 20/21st August. The following is and extract from an advertising brochure:

Deeside Steam and Vintage Club Rally

The Deeside Steam and Vintage Club Rally is held over a weekend in mid August at Milton of Crathes near Banchory. It features steam engines, vintage agricultural machinery and tractors, vintage cars and motorbikesm and demonstrations over two days.

More than 500 vehicles entered the 2010 rally and exhibitis included a 1915 Ford Model T, a 1961 Auto Union 1000 Sp Coupe and an Isseta bubble car, alongside intricate scale steam engines.

The Rally makes for a great day out for all ages. The dates for 2011 are 20th and 21st August.

Regards Tom

atomenter
atomenter

Back to top Go down

FIRST STEAMING Empty Re: FIRST STEAMING

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down