Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell

4 posters

Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell

Post  Dave Saunders Tue 02 Nov 2010, 1:30 pm

Thought I'd try the drive pin in the rear wheel hubs, to make sure the caps didn't foul. The holes through the hubs are undersize, probably about .005". I can run an 8.0mm h7 reamer through them, but I don't know what sort of fit required.
On a different topic I am considering baking the smokebox bits (Firecote VHT), but wondered whether the fumes (assuming there are some), would affect the oven. Of course I could buy a cheap mini oven, but wondered if anyone else had done this!

Dave Saunders

Dave Saunders

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty Oven baking

Post  lynnr Tue 02 Nov 2010, 1:50 pm

Hi

I have used VHT paint on my smokebox and baked in oven at 200 for 2 hours. Then cooled oven to 170 and then cooked dinner with just holding the door open for a minute while taking the smokebox out. No smell and no taint of flavour.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty Re: Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell

Post  craig@STW Tue 02 Nov 2010, 3:20 pm

hello Dave.

the pins just need to be a nice push fit. the retaining plate should keep them in place
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty drive pins

Post  Dave Saunders Tue 02 Nov 2010, 4:34 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. Reaming it with an h7 reamer would give me a snug slide, with no perceptible play, or do I need it to be a slight intrference i.e. tapped in?
Dave

Dave Saunders

Back to top Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty Smokin'

Post  Dave Saunders Tue 02 Nov 2010, 5:04 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi

I have used VHT paint on my smokebox and baked in oven at 200 for 2 hours. Then cooled oven to 170 and then cooked dinner with just holding the door open for a minute while taking the smokebox out. No smell and no taint of flavour.

Thanks Lynn, I'll give it a go, once I've shown your resonse to Management!!!

Dave

Dave Saunders

Back to top Go down

Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell Empty Re: Drive pin fit in rear wheels on 2" Burrell

Post  craig@STW Tue 02 Nov 2010, 5:45 pm

Dave Saunders wrote:Thanks for the prompt response. Reaming it with an h7 reamer would give me a snug slide, with no perceptible play...

im sure this would be fine Cool

i normally check the forum first thing in the morning and mid afternoon so i can sort any queries if possible.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Saunders Tue 02 Nov 2010, 7:45 pm

Many thanks again, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.........eventually.
Dave

Dave Saunders

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 04 Nov 2010, 9:12 pm

Hi guys

I do not know if you have done this yet but I used Reeves smoke box paint as it is a mat look

Good luck and do tell how you get on
Hugh
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down