Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where I'm up to..

5 posters

Go down

Where I'm up to.. Empty Where I'm up to..

Post  LilyJack Thu 22 Apr 2010, 3:38 pm

Here's where I'm up to in case anyones interested.. Smile a little way to go yet but it's starting to look like an engine.., the tender isn't bolted on yet because it's just personal preference to make that one of the most last items to fit to prevent scratching it up n stuff. the rear wheels are as you can see, a work in progress.

Where I'm up to.. Dsc00220

Where I'm up to.. Dsc00221

See now I looooooooooooooove da shiny stuff so decided to make a brass steering wheel handle, locking nut and bottom locking not at the worm gear, took a little while knocking the brass bits up but once on n shiny, in MY opinion, well worth the effort..
Where I'm up to.. Dsc00222

Where I'm up to.. Dsc00223

May all your linkages be well oiled and your fire burning hot..

Regards..
LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Where I'm up to.. Empty Re: Where I'm up to..

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 22 Apr 2010, 4:11 pm

Looking good Al, Keep it up (so to speak!) Very Happy

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 23 Apr 2010, 9:45 pm

HI Al

Well well looks like you are going well . Cool Cool as for me at the mo it is Embarassed .From one thing or another,
Ho yes are you useing your BBQ in the background?? Question

Good luck and well done
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Sat 24 Apr 2010, 3:18 pm

Hi,

I only picked my kits up a month or so ago so i am a fair way behind you all, but it's good to see some photo's for refence of an engine thats not nearly finished. After studying the photo's ( probably for far too long ) i have the following questions i'd like to ask.

I like the chequer plate floor in the tender. Did your's come like that or have you added that yourself.
Have you tac welded your back wheel rims together ?. Seems like a good idea.
I wondered about painting the wheels before putting the tyres on. How easy is it to clean isoflex off paintwork.
Your wheel rim joiner fixings seem to be staggered on the rim ( hope my description makes sense ) where mine are next to each other ?. I was going to araldite my wheels this afternoon. Think i'd better check i haven't cocked them up first as mine look different.

Keep posting the photo's as they are a great source of reference for any late starters like myself. Out of curiousity are there any other builders in the peterborough area. If so i can feel some beer drinking / rally meet ups coming on.

Regards

Andy
PS - how do i convince the wife that the engine should be green rather than her preferred choice of crimson lake.

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 4:56 pm

By not showing her this photo lol i am a crimson lake (4") and nearly need the foden that colour to but the better half wouldnt let me Crying or Very sad

Where I'm up to.. DSCF6172

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 4:57 pm

"Need" should be did i seem to have lost the edit button again

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sat 24 Apr 2010, 7:39 pm

andyc wrote:Hi,

I only picked my kits up a month or so ago so i am a fair way behind you all, but it's good to see some photo's for refence of an engine thats not nearly finished. After studying the photo's ( probably for far too long ) i have the following questions i'd like to ask.

I like the chequer plate floor in the tender. Did your's come like that or have you added that yourself.
Have you tac welded your back wheel rims together ?. Your wheel rim joiner fixings seem to be staggered on the rim ( hope my description makes sense ) where mine are next to each other ?.
PS - how do i convince the wife that the engine should be green rather than her preferred choice of crimson lake.

How do Andy, okay firstly the chequer plate is of the very HIGHEST quality let me tell you.. Okay it's from B&Q really, nice n thin alli sheet so it's easy to cut and bend etc, secondly, yep, I used the works TIG to stick the rims together, was just a personal preference that's all mate, as for the joiners, yup you're right, in the picture they do indeed go straight across but mine wouldn't have fitted like that, I hazard a guess that those little cross straps were a couple of mm longer but staggered they are, on both wheels to so at least it's all matching, either way I'm not fussed, they do the job and they're painted over now so you dont really notice if I'm honest, as for cleaning goo shit off of paint, I gave/will give the paint PLENTY of time to cure nice n hard then mask off, that way, any dribbles of crud where it shouldn't be will come off just that little bit easier, course it's better to not rush and make mess in the first place that way this question won't be relevant.

FINALLY, the colour of your engine, chap i feel for ya here I truly do, if you look back through threads you'll see I too had this very same problem, I wanted a nice deep green but nope, her indoors was having none of it and seeing as she's been really very good with me wanting to build a toy of this size and price, I had to go along with her colour selection, trust me mate, it's easier in the long run. Right, on that note, time for me to bugger off and get some work done.. Take it easy, any questions you got chap, feel free to pm me, I do look on here quite often so I can get back with an answer..

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Mon 31 May 2010, 9:51 am

Hi Lilyjack.

The battle has been won. The wife has decided that she quite likes craftmaster union green paint so i bought some quick before she changed her mind.

Next kit is the cylinder so no doubt i will have a million and one questions to ask you all.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum