Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!!

+3
Tim Watson
Steve Traill
miller
7 posters

Go down

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! Empty the chance to personalize your engine number !!!!

Post  miller Fri 16 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

Steve is currently working on a few parts for future kits and wanted me to run something past you.

we are looking at the "makers name plaques" on the cylinder boxes and although Steve believes their are minor differences between these two...

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! ExMayor165

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! 0119--PICT0060

a standardized version would be acceptable

but, when we look at the other side, the plaque also contains the engine number...

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! ExMayor098

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! 0145--PICT0073

so how do we go about standardizing this ????

well the answer is.. we don't. in fact we do the complete opposite and give you the option to personalize them Cool

Steve thinks that by having them made as etchings we can actually have each one made with a different number. OK, so if your planing to make a replica of the ex mayor or the president then of course you want the corresponding number, but if your planning on finishing your model as something else you may want to match the numbers to that. or you may want a nonspecific "unused" number or even a number thats personal to you (pin numbers NOT recommended).

so we believe this is going to be possible, of course there may be an additional charge involved but Steve has not got details on this at the moment.

so it's up to you guys really. Steve will be including full details of this in a future kit but we wanted to get the idea out in the open to hear your opinions and consider any comments.

craig

PS: someone please correct me if i've made any stupid mistakes with the terminology Embarassed
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! Empty Engine numbers

Post  Steve Traill Sat 17 Apr 2010, 9:26 pm

Great idea, make mine 2559 which was a 1903 12hp DCC crane engine. It is not in preservation so any rivet counters can't compare it to anything!
It spent it's life in the mines in South Africa as did most of the large Burrell crane engines.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! Empty Re: the chance to personalize your engine number !!!!

Post  Tim Watson Sun 25 Apr 2010, 9:27 am

Having a close look at a couple of showman's this w/e, the plates are quite shallow in relief. They are mounted in a recessed part of raised panel that is part of the valve chest cover. In this way, you can have a chrome finish (or bright steel) valve chest cover with a brass plate inset: looks quite nice.

The standard plate (offside) has a pattern similar to stretcher bond brickwork in the background - with raised rather than sunk mortar, whilst the numberd (nearside) plate has a mottled finish. The brick effect would not be easy to replicate with a half etching technique, if that is already producing the letters.

There is a danger in all this that I am beginning to wear my 2mm : 1ft modelling hat!
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! Empty Personalisation of engine

Post  Rickster Mon 07 Jun 2010, 8:20 pm

Steve,
if this is still an option, I would like 3593 as my engine number, based on the engine Duke of Kent.
regards

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

the chance to personalize your engine number !!!! Empty Re: the chance to personalize your engine number !!!!

Post  Graeme81 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

3773 for me please Very Happy
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:23 pm

I'm happy with ex-mayor numbers so that will do me. sunny
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:46 pm

As I am not planning on replicating any particular engine I would opt for 1955 a notable date to myself and more importantly to my wife. She may not be pleased about me listing it!

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down