Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring

3 posters

Go down

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Empty Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring

Post  Chessie Cat Sun 12 Mar 2023, 6:19 am

May be acquiring this unit. Need help identifying what Burrell model this is. From my research it looks to be a 4" scale, double compound engine. Did I get that right? Is it a DCC or a agriculture engine or something else? It's been sitting in a damp environment for about 7 years untouched, hence all the rust. I plan on restoring it back to prime condition.

I plan on winching it onto a tilt trailer if it rolls in neutral and can be pushed. Hopefully it will shift into neutral. The steering gearbox has been disconnected and is missing for unknown reasons.

Any information as to the model, type, age and any suggestions for moving it safely would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Dsc04812
Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Dsc04810
Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Dsc04811
Chessie Cat
Chessie Cat

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-03-12

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Empty Re: Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring

Post  Lynn@STW Mon 13 Mar 2023, 8:50 am

Hi

It is a Double Crank Compound. Not STW kit. Looks like a showman without the extension for the main dynamo but the brackets are there for the exciter dynamo that would be mounted between the cylinder block and chimney.

I would be budgeting on replacing the boiler as it likely does not have any paperwork and "sitting for 7 years" you will have issues recertifying it.

Moving is easy even if the gears shift is stuck. Just remove the drive pins from the rear wheels.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Empty Unknown Burrell.

Post  topcat Sun 26 Mar 2023, 9:13 am

Hi how did you get on with the Burrell . i have been building a 4in S.C.C. for some years now Laughing
yours looks like a very accurate build.

topcat

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-07-24

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Empty Acquisition Completed Last Week - Restoration Plan Being Developed

Post  Chessie Cat Mon 27 Mar 2023, 4:42 am

topcat wrote:Hi how did you get on with the Burrell . i have been building a 4in  S.C.C. for some years now Laughing
yours looks like a very accurate build.

Loco is in my "traction maintenance depot" (shop). The team (me) is in the process of making a restoration plan. There is much work to be done as you can see from the pictures.

I want to get the steering working. For unknown reasons the belly tank is missing along with the big gear, brackets and shaft for the chain steering. Can someone let me know the dimensions of the big steering gear so I can try to source it locally here in California? Diameter, number of teeth, thickness, bore diameter, metric/sae size and any identifying markings. I plan on fabricating the brackets and the shaft to work without a belly tank.

The governor ball straps are broken (looking for a source to replace them) and all the shafts from crank to cylinder head have heavy surface rust on them. Lots of cleaning, sanding and polishing of everything is planned.

Thanks for saying hello! I looked for pictures of your build but could not find any.

I plan on starting a new thread, as time permits,  to document the restoration project in the "Owners Photos" section of the forum.
Chessie Cat
Chessie Cat

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-03-12

Back to top Go down

Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring Empty Re: Need Help Identifing a Burrell Traction Engine I May Be Aquiring

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down