Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf

Go down

Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf Empty Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf

Post  karl heinz marschner Wed 14 Sep 2022, 6:32 pm

Putting together all parts of the rear wheels took me quite some time, but I had no problems with that. I always read the instructions very carefully. But now I have to make a confession: In the instructions it is strongly recommended to "araldite" the gaps between the spokes, the hubs and the rims. I did not do anything like that. It is a tremendous lot of work, only to make sure, that the spokes do not become loose, when you move your finished Burrel over long distances on hard ground. But I am not planning this. When my machine is finished completely, I will heat and steam it up and will test all functions, I just want to know, everything works. After that my Burrel will serve as a show-piece in our entrance hall.
I had already told you, that I had made a grievious decision by ordering the wheel without rubber tyres, I wanted to make an agricultural steam traction engine with strakes on the rear wheels for better grip on soft ground. This meant a lot of additional work for me:

• I had to drill threaded holes into the wheel rims. My milling-machine was a little bit too small for this operation, but with some tricks I could manage it.

Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf Burrel26

• Making the strakes:
    32 pcs for the left wheel, 32 pcs for the right wheel. I used steel strip 20 x 2 mm
    The strakes did not align with the wheel rims well enough. So I had to make a special forming tool to adjust them

• Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf Burrel27

• In the next photo you see the riveting procedure:

Rear wheels made in Duesseldorf Burrel28
[/list]

• I have put rivets at the two sides of the rim. The inner holes got countersunk socket screws, which I removed after setting of the rivets and filled the holes with 2K-copper-repair-paste.

• For the final finish I used a band grinder.

The whole procedure took me more than two months. If I had realized in advance, how much labour it would mean, I would probably have ordered the wheels with rubber tyres. But now I am happy with it.

Last edited by karl heinz marschner on Wed 14 Sep 2022, 7:04 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Back to top Go down