Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue

3 posters

Go down

Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue Empty Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue

Post  Nigel53 Sat 25 Jun 2022, 3:47 pm

Hi. Just started my 4” showmans build. I intend to go with the Ex-Mayor colour scheme and have bought paint from Craftmaster as they seem to have a good reputation. The yellow for the wheels has gone on really well but I have just opened the blue and it is so dark it is almost black. Has anyone else tried this as I’m not sure if I have a duff tin or if their colours are that far off? If the colour is wrong any ideas as to what colour I should get to be nearer to the pictures I’ve seen of this engine.
Thanks Nigel

Nigel53

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2022-05-15

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue Empty Re: Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue

Post  elwood-59 Sat 25 Jun 2022, 3:56 pm

Hi Nigel,

as Pied Piper is on Black and Red paint scheme, I cannot say much about blue as such. My suggestion therefore would be to either contact Adam at Craftmasterpaint directly - whenever I had any  questions he was more than willing to help - and/or to do a test on some scrap piece of steel - not to forget the primer and undercoat as I was told especially the undercoat‘s colour has a effect on the top coat, or so I seem to remember.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel53 Sat 25 Jun 2022, 4:42 pm

Thanks Elwood
Yes I was going to ring them on Monday but you are right I need to try painting something with this on undercoat as it may well dry a different colour to the way it looks in the tin.

Nigel53

Back to top Go down

Craftmaster Ex-Mayor blue Empty Ex Mayor Blue

Post  T140 Thu 30 Jun 2022, 10:57 am

Hi,

I am using the same blue on my engine, also using the Dark Blue undercoat also from Craftmaster.

If you stir it well and view in sunlight it has a green tinge to it, any overspray is also green.

I have been brush painting with a 1" sable artist brush and once dry, lined and varnished in the sun it is a very pleasant deep blue, in the shade looks like dark blue and on a cloudy day has a green hint. Lovely to apply by air brush or paint brush.

It does look very dark in the tin.

Richard.

T140

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel53 Thu 30 Jun 2022, 11:33 am

Thanks Richard. I have now done a test on a piece of steel plate with undercoat and as you say in good light it is a nice deep blue so happy with it now.

Nigel53

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down