Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question?

3 posters

Go down

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Empty Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question?

Post  tombdog Fri 8 Apr 2022 - 15:23

I have a Likamobile, from Modelworks. I received my first kit in January 2006, and finished the build in 2011. I am working on the Throttle, and I have a question about the copper tube (??) that runs from the Throttle, through the top of the boiler, and into the steam pipe to the engine.
What are the specs on this pipe, and what is the thread on the fittings that connect to the Throttle, and to the steam pipe into the engine?
My fittings are a bit loose, and I would like to have spares for the pipe, and the fittings, before I make changes.
Does Steam Traction World still have the fittings and the pipe available as spares?
Thanks, Doug Tomb, Falls Church, Virginia, USA

tombdog

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Empty Re: Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question?

Post  Lynn@STW Tue 12 Apr 2022 - 9:59

Hi Doug

Do you have a part number or a picture and I will have a look on the old model and see if I can pick off the threads for you

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Empty Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question?

Post  tombdog Tue 12 Apr 2022 - 14:18

Lynn, Thank you for your reply. I will post a picture of the superheater later on today. I think I have figured out the dimensions of the fixtures used, but verification by you will be a big help.

The threads on the Throttle are 1/2 inch, pipe thread. The threads on the Steam Intake Manifold on the engine, are also 1/2 inch pipe thread. The Superheater tubing connects the Throttle to the Steam Intake Manifold.

On the Throttle end, attached to the Throttle is a 1/2 inch copper plumbing elbow, 90 degree bend. The 90 degree elbow is soldered to a 15mm copper tube, threaded at the end. The 15mm copper tube is a reducer, to get the pipe size from 15mm, down to 10mm. The 15 mm copper pipe nicely slides into the ID of the 1/2 inch copper plumbing fixture, and is soldered in place.

The Superheater copper tube inserts into the 10mm end of the reducer, and is held in by a Sleeve, or Ferrule, and held on with a nut. The Sleeve, or Ferrule, crimps onto the 10mm copper tube, and is a secure fitting.

The 10mm Superheater copper tubing runs into the top of the boiler, and there is a coil of the copper tube in there, held on around the edges, with stainless steel wire. The copper tube is heated by the burner flame, and makes superheated, dry steam. (Steam engines love superheated, dry steam.)

When the 10mm copper tube comes back out of the boiler cover, it goes directly to the Intake Manifold on the engine, and is connected using the same fitting as on the Throttle. A 10mm to 15mm reducer, soldered to the 90 degree copper plumbing fixture, which threads onto the end of the 1/2 inch Intake Manifold pipe thread.

There you have it, and I hope I am correct on this. What would be nice to have is the fittings, created by Modelworks, for the two ends of the Superheater. Pictures to follow. Thanks, Doug Tomb, Falls Church, Virginia, USA

tombdog

Back to top Go down

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Empty Re: Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question?

Post  tombdog Sat 16 Apr 2022 - 16:29

Lynn, Sorry for the delay.

Here are pictures of the fitting I am asking about. One part is similar to the "LK11100 - Temp Superheater Substitute". The LK11100 had the fittings for the Throttle end, and for the Intake Manifold end, but they had a 15mm copper pipe joining them.

When the real Superheater came out, they used the same fittings for the Throttle and the Intake manifold fittings, but they modified them to connect to a 10mm copper tube, which formed the Superheater coil in the top of the Boiler.

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Img_7210

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Img_7213
Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Img_7211
Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Img_7212

I uploaded the pictures. I hope they get there OK. The last picture is the fitting that connects to the Throttle, and to the Intake Manifold on the other end. See the threaded connection where it connects to the copper tube of the Superheater.

Thanks, Doug Tomb, Falls Church, Virginia, USA.

tombdog

Back to top Go down

Super Heater Pipe in Modelworks Series 1 Question? Empty pipe

Post  jjtjr Thu 16 Jun 2022 - 14:02

Hey Doug,
This is what I found over time with the fittings, vibration causes the nut on the copper pipe to loosen. I think this is due to the copper getting annealed due to the heat cycles.  then starts to leak. over time I replaced most of the fittings with either flare fittings or threaded pipe fittings. A few months ago I had the fitting you are looking for become loose which I did not know because it was wrapped with insulation. When working on that section it was then noticed because the pipe wiggled around which is not supposed to happen. At that time I changed to standard pipe thread. I know you have the lika engine so it makes this change more difficult. Since I have a mason in the car it was not a problem. One other item the series 1 did not have a super heater, It is a drier, driers are located above the boiler and super heaters are located below the boiler directly in the fire.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  tombdog Mon 20 Jun 2022 - 19:25

Jim, Thanks for the clarification on the Steam Dryer, vs Super Heater. I remember your pictures of the Sched 80 stainless Super Heater pipe you put in your boiler, right in front of the burner flame. Thanks, Doug.

tombdog

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down