Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nickel plating

3 posters

Go down

nickel plating Empty nickel plating

Post  elwood-59 Fri 19 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm

Hi,

as winter time is coming I plan to do some improvements to Pied Piper, namely have some parts nickel plated, dull not high luster, just to keep rust at bay.

When I was assembling PP I was still unsure so I did not to it then, unfortunately. But now its the time. As I think to remember some of you have had some parts plated or even did it yourself, how did you handle the bushings, namely the one at the small end of the conrod. On my build it came preassemblied, and I don‘t want to mess with it. The bushings being sinter bronze => porous, I expect to find also some of the nickel inside the bushing after the plating.

Did you or the plater cover the bushing in some way? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Elwood

Last edited by elwood-59 on Fri 19 Nov 2021, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

nickel plating Empty Re: nickel plating

Post  lynnr Tue 23 Nov 2021, 11:23 am

Hi Elwood

A common method is to Wax fill the bushing holes with a dome of wax over the outside or a sticky non setting putty like Bluetack.

On Crystal I would clean the tin work for winter but would leave the motion "dirty" with oil and never had an issue.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Tue 23 Nov 2021, 12:52 pm

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the info.

Now I start to think about it again - just had convinced myself to go the nickel route Very Happy

Motion is out now, might as well give it a good polish and postpone decision Question

Thanks

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 23 Nov 2021, 7:32 pm

I just wipe stuff down with an "oily rag" and never had any issues with rusting Cool and I live on the coast and the salt air rusts stuff even inside the house Rolling Eyes

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down