Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings.

+2
lynnr
milford59
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings.

Post  milford59 Sun 04 Jul 2021, 8:12 pm

After my slight setback with the boiler studs, I am now getting back on track, and this afternoon I started to attach stuff back onto the cylinder.

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 1099a410

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

LiveSteam, Mark the spark and Will@STW like this post

Back to top Go down

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 Empty Re: Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings.

Post  milford59 Thu 08 Jul 2021, 3:35 pm

I have another question - I have the cylinder on, the studs cut down and painted, and the pistons are in.... I have trial-fitted the rear cover with the piston glands.....Is it now safe to attach the rear cover with Foliac - it’s not coming off again is it... sorry if this is a stupid question - I think I have become a bit paranoid about messing up again !!

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 1eadad10

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 08 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

If it was me I'd leave most things like this in a test fit loosely done up, unless its something that cannot be reached once another item is installed.

Once its all done and dusted then go around and button up all the bits with any sealer required, that almost guarantees you wont need to touch stuff, but if you do button it all up as you go then you can guarantee you'll need to pull it apart again.

Thats what always seems to happen to me Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 09 Jul 2021, 8:47 pm

LiveSteam wrote:If it was me I'd leave most things like this in a test fit loosely done up, unless its something that cannot be reached once another item is installed.

Once its all done and dusted then go around and button up all the bits with any sealer required, that almost guarantees you wont need to touch stuff, but if you do button it all up as you go then you can guarantee you'll need to pull it apart again.

Thats what always seems to happen to me Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

Thanks for that advice.... I guess I will install the weighshaft, cross head and slides first and make sure they are all good, and then I can remove them to Foliac the rear cover.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 15 Jul 2021, 7:02 pm

I am not too happy with the studs that go through the weighshaft and the bracket into the boiler.... they will need to be PTFE taped and then screwed in with fingers and I am concerned that they will not be sealed well enough, if I can’t get them tight enough, and unfortunately I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers these days ..... so I have bought some studs with socket heads and I will use those instead.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 15 Jul 2021, 10:20 pm

A easy way to make studs easier to screw in is put two nuts on the stud and lock them together, then once the studs in unlock them and take them off.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

milford59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 27 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

I am adding this information into this thread (even though I have posted it in another thread about gaskets) as it is relevant to the topic of this thread.

I have made a 1mm thick gasket out of black silicon rubber sheet for the rear face of the cylinder. This rubber sheet  is suitable for high temperatures, and I believe it will do the job nicely and avoid any leaks.

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 832b9410
Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 91f4ce10
Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 F2ee0710

milford59

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 Empty Cylinder cladding doesn’t look right…

Post  milford59 Tue 31 Aug 2021, 7:15 pm

I have carefully bent the cylinder cladding so that it fits round the curves very nicely and I have lined it up with the insert holes, and this what I find… the hole appears to be in the wrong place…

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 D76dfc10

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 31 Aug 2021, 7:35 pm

Hi milford

"I have carefully bent the cylinder cladding so that it fits round the curves very nicely and I have lined it up with the insert holes, and this what I find… the hole appears to be in the wrong place."

Same here. I haven't addressed the problem as yet due to work commitments.
I have also found that the holes in the brass bands dont line up, might be worth checking before contacting Will.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:03 pm

Hi Simon

I had exactly the same problem and spoke to Will and he had said there was a bit of a difference between batches of cylinder blocks iirc. They made another batch of cylinder covers and after the 3rd attempt my new one was a good fit!
Defo worth contacting STW

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Tue 31 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

Kit 11 - Cylinder Block & Cylinder fittings. - Page 2 20210812
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 31 Aug 2021, 10:17 pm

Simon/Mark - thanks very much for your replies…. I will make contact with Will, and hopefully he can send me a new cover.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2