Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification

2 posters

Go down

Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification Empty Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification

Post  Grier Thu 25 Feb 2021, 4:43 pm

I have steamed the engine a half dozen times now (its been cold and rainy or I would have steamed it more), and invariably I have had an issue with the packing nut on the piston rod becoming loose from the vibrations of the engine. This causes a terrible knock because the nut loosens enough to allow the piston slide block to hit the packing nut. So after thinking about this I decided to pull the engine and modify the packing nut, fabricate a bracket that will hopefully stop the nut from loosening. Here is a link to my blog that details this modification.
Packing Nut Modification

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification Empty Re: Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification

Post  IanL Mon 16 May 2022, 3:29 pm

Hi I am currently assembling my engine thanks for the i formation regarding this mod. It’s now over a year did it work?
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification Empty Re: Piston Rod Packing Nut Modification

Post  Grier Mon 16 May 2022, 4:05 pm

The nut modification is working great. No issues of the nut loosening up.

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

IanL likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down