Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt

+5
Goliewogs
Capricorn1
Midwest Steam
Simon C
Thunderbolt
9 posters

Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt

Post  Thunderbolt Wed 17 Feb 2021, 7:02 pm

Hi,

I am showing you the build of my road loco. A lot of big parts are built and nearly all painted and are now being fitted to the boiler.Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 444a5b10
Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 72c2a710
Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 989e9c10

Last edited by Thunderbolt on Sun 15 Aug 2021, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2021-02-13

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Re: Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt

Post  Thunderbolt Thu 18 Feb 2021, 8:10 pm

Hi,

Thunderbolt update,

Horn plates are fitted with their bearing housings attached. It isnt tightened up yet and they are not aligned.Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 46226d10
Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 5871f310
Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt E42ac610
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Icard72 and Mutleybob like this post

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Re: Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt

Post  Thunderbolt Sun 28 Mar 2021, 12:37 pm

One quick question. Should the bolts that hold on the horn-plates have washers on them?
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 28 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm

Thunderbolt wrote:One quick question. Should the bolts that hold on the horn-plates have washers on them?

One quick answer. No. A washer would create a second bearing surface for the hornplates to move against and you really dont want that to happen.
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Thunderbolt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunderbolt Sun 28 Mar 2021, 8:12 pm

Thank you
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Another Question

Post  Thunderbolt Fri 09 Apr 2021, 9:35 pm

We are now dry fitting the cladding. All pieces are fitted apart from the ones which go I live with the cylinder block and has the belly tank bracket cut out. We are a little confused as to how it fits and is held in place. Has anyone go an idea and don’t hesitate to ask for photos.

This is the road loco by the way because I know the showman’s engine is different.

Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Sat 10 Apr 2021, 1:15 pm

If you’re referring to the brass boiler bands, there’s 2 short ones in the kit that goes on the saddle of the cylinder block and meets at the bottom. That’s what I assume the question is about
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Reply

Post  Thunderbolt Sat 10 Apr 2021, 2:33 pm

No sorry i probably didnt explain myself well enough however me and dad have since worked it out but thank you for the replies and messages.
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Sun 02 May 2021, 9:08 pm

Simon C wrote:
Thunderbolt wrote:One quick question. Should the bolts that hold on the horn-plates have washers on them?

One quick answer. No. A washer would create a second bearing surface for the hornplates to move against and you really dont want that to happen.

Fitting a washer with the bolts that secure the horn-plates to the boiler will make no difference whatsoever. Washers do not form a "bearing surface". If you want some security to stop the bolts coming loose use Loctite Threadlocker.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Mon 03 May 2021, 12:24 pm

I've heard that the best security for hornplate bolts is to use Foliac (Steam seal) just around the shank. This will harden with heat and they will not come loose. Apparently, this is what the original Burrell engineers used!!
Regards
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Mon 03 May 2021, 2:03 pm

Hi all, think I remember reading Lynn suggested using J B Weld on the Hornplate bolts.

Nigel

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2020-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 03 May 2021, 3:03 pm

Hi

Nope not me with the JB weld. My bolts are as is metal on metal. Never moved in 10 years of running and many hundreds of miles on the public roads.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Wed 05 May 2021, 10:18 pm

The agricultural engine was prone to the horn plates moving as they only have four bolts. The key is to remove all paint where the boiler & horn plates touch. I use a 'collar' of JB Weld to infill the slack between the diameter of the bolts and the hole diameter in the hornplate. Even the slightest movement will show up with a cracked gauge glass.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Thunderbolt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Sorry for the long wait since updates

Post  Thunderbolt Wed 28 Jul 2021, 8:27 pm

More updates now
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty What it looks like now

Post  Thunderbolt Wed 28 Jul 2021, 8:31 pm

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt 8637b810
Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Fdb9f710
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Crank shaft bearing grinding

Post  Thunderbolt Sun 15 Aug 2021, 8:40 pm

Hi All,

I am about to grind my crankshaft bearings in. I have got timesaver lapping powder which gets mixed with oil to make the paste. My question is which colour label should i use Yellow or green. And are the crankshaft bearings hard bronze?
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sun 15 Aug 2021, 9:29 pm

Hi, The crank bearings are bronze, therefore use the Yellow timesaver! I used the fine grade ( not the ultra fine) and I had my crank bearings ground in beautifully in under 30 mins or so! It is a superb product ! Good luck and enjoy! Grég (Goliewogs)

Goliewogs

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 17 Aug 2021, 8:00 pm

Goliewogs wrote:Hi, The crank bearings are bronze, therefore use the Yellow timesaver! I used the fine grade ( not the ultra fine) and I had my crank bearings ground in beautifully in under 30 mins or so! It is a superb product ! Good luck and enjoy!  Grég (Goliewogs)

I see in pictures that others have used 2 nuts on the bearing housings…. But how tight should the lower nut be ?  It’s easy to get the crank to turn smoothly after using a bit of yellow “Timesaver” if the lower nut is finger tight + 1/4 turn with the spanner… but is that tight enough or should I tighten the nut a bit more and keep going with the Timesaver ?   Thanks for any advice !

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Building a Burrell Road Loco called Thunderbolt Empty Useful Websites

Post  Thunderbolt Tue 17 Aug 2021, 9:34 pm

Hi all,

Are there any useful websites to get supplies for my engine from. This may include parts as well as firming equipment and other things?

Many Thanks
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sat 21 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

Hi Milford,
I kept lapping my bearings in until the bearing cap nut could be done up tightly! (I haven't double nutted mine yet but I may do now!). My crank runs like silk with no latertal, or vertical movement in the bearings - all this in 30 minutes!!
Regards
Greg

Goliewogs

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 21 Aug 2021, 10:18 am

Goliewogs wrote:Hi Milford,
I kept lapping my bearings in until the bearing cap nut could be done up tightly! (I haven't double nutted mine yet but I may do now!). My crank runs like silk with no latertal, or vertical movement in the bearings - all this in 30 minutes!!
Regards
Greg

That’s helpful info - thanks very much Greg.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Fri 27 Aug 2021, 7:33 pm

If you think about the forces acting on the crankshaft bearings I would suggest you would want the bearing cap nuts tightened up fully - whether you use a single nut of fit locknuts...

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down