Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sitting comfortably

5 posters

Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty Sitting comfortably

Post  Nick100 Fri 21 Aug 2020, 12:53 pm

Not sure if anyone has ideas as to the best way to fix the assembled set to the Lyka?
Just bolt it into the forward top panel on which it sits? Somehow attach it to the metalwork beneath that panel?
Any advice most welcome: it would be embarrassing to come fundamentally adrift when tootling along....
Thanks.

Nick100

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-08-12

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty Re: Sitting comfortably

Post  Goliewogs Mon 24 Aug 2020, 10:45 am

Hi Nick,
I would suggest to get on to STW as I feel this is their responsibility to finish the vehicle that we all bought! This includes the safe fixing of the seat in order to make it road worthy! If needs be, an addendum to their instructions should be produced and if necessary fixings/fixtures supplied. This must only be right I would have thought?
Kind regards
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

covonia1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty seat

Post  covonia1 Thu 03 Sep 2020, 10:31 am

I have not fitted the seat yet i am waiting for instructions and possible fixings i feel this is important to secure it safe

covonia1

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-07-26

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty Sitting comfortably

Post  Swedish mechanicus Thu 03 Sep 2020, 6:09 pm

In Sweden we must have saftey belts in the car so here is how I mounted the seat, on a steelframe who is bolted on the car frame with 6 M8 bolt.
For safety is the backrest bolted on the frame and not in the wood. I can send pictures if you want mail rolf.dodge34@gmail.com
Swedish mechanicus
Swedish mechanicus

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-07-27

covonia1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty seats

Post  jjtjr Tue 13 Oct 2020, 12:57 pm

Even though I have a series 1 lika the seat attachment may be the same. What I did was drill thru the wood of the  seat under the cushion so the bolts don't show then into the steel frame of the car this was done in four locations two at the outer  front of the seat and two at the outer  back. Then use 1/4"-20 grade 8 bolts. they are harden bolts with large washers. The seat belts which I installed are under the back bolts. the center bolt for the seat belts are bolted  the same as the side. To keep the vintage look I went to a local shoe repair shop ( yes we still have them in our town) and had him make two sets, for driver and passenger, The holes that are punch into the end of the belts for mounting have  cringles pressed into them. (  Typically it encloses a metal grommet for reinforcement and to reduce wear.)  The seat belts  made of leather like a wide belt and the buckles look vintage. we use them when driving the car. This is what a cringle looks like the bolt goes thru it. Hope this helps.

Sitting comfortably Cringl10
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty Lyka seat

Post  Nick100 Fri 23 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

Thanks to all for the useful suggestions -- much appreciated.
Nick

Nick100

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-08-12

Back to top Go down

Sitting comfortably Empty Re: Sitting comfortably

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down