Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaky Water Gauge Valves

3 posters

Go down

Leaky Water Gauge Valves Empty Leaky Water Gauge Valves

Post  Stu 18 Sun 24 May 2020, 12:25 pm

I've at last reached the stage of pressure-testing my engine with air. Unfortunately, I'm finding that all three of the water gauge valves leak.
I've connected my air line direct to one of them to make things easier to see. Open, the valve lets through loads of air, as expected. But when I close it, I'm still getting a fair amount of air leaking through.

I followed the assembly instructions carefully: I deburred the cocks; I fitted them into the bodies; screwed in the retaining bushes (they screw in fully onto the body); inserted the seals; and gently tightened the gland nuts. I've dismantled them to check for anything amiss, and remantled them, but still the same situation.
The cocks feel reasonably tight in the PTFE; I can turn them, but there's some resistance. I do note that two of them won't press fully home. I measure the depth to the pre-fitted nut, but the inserts miss this be a couple of millimetres; I can only see a semi-circle through the valve, not a full circle.

Do these behave differently when hot? Is there something I can do to make them seal when cold? Should the inserts go home, and how should I get them to do so?

I hope someone has dealt with this problem and can advise me, please.

Stu 18

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-11-07

Back to top Go down

Leaky Water Gauge Valves Empty Re: Leaky Water Gauge Valves

Post  Simon C Sun 24 May 2020, 8:34 pm

Hi Stu
"Do these behave differently when hot?"
In short yes they do get better when hot I had all 3 leak so returned them to STW when they returned they were no better.
Once in steam all the valves settle down the whistle valve is another such valve.
As for the bottoming in the seat the end of the cock will probably have a nipple left behind from machining make sure this is flattened off.
Leaky Water Gauge Valves UPYeuD6l
and now having seen this photo I am off to clean my roof SHAMEFUL behavior on my part
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sun 24 May 2020, 8:50 pm

I fitted a "O" ring between the nut and the valve and that solved the problem

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 18 Mon 25 May 2020, 8:55 am

Thanks guys, fingers crossed for when it's hot.
And i have noticed the whistle valve leaking too.

Stu 18

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down