Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waterpump feedpipe

3 posters

Go down

Waterpump feedpipe Empty Waterpump feedpipe

Post  Atlas Wed 02 Sep 2009, 8:44 pm

How do I get out of this one? I have found that my waterpump feedpipe (the one in the tender with a filter on the end) has become loose. It will turn easily in the union nut and I can rattle it a bit. This might explain why my pump suddenly stops working on a roadrun especially when the water level in the tender has dropped from full. It sems to start sucking air. I have tried to tighten up the union nut with a standard spanner by poking my hand through the hole in the tender top but can't tighten it further. Nor can I undo it - I can't get a spanner to fit on by using the other angle of the spanner head.
How do I fix it? Anyone any ideas please? Steve?

Atlas

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Waterpump feedpipe Empty Re: Waterpump feedpipe

Post  tef 20 Wed 02 Sep 2009, 9:47 pm

I am pretty sure i had to use a stuby spanner to tighten mine but cant quite remember. If no one has giveing you anymore suggestions by tomorrow i will go down to the workshop and remind myself how i did it and post the answer on here for you.

Cheers
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Atlas Thu 03 Sep 2009, 7:22 pm

Thanks Mark
I have since managed to fix it I hope. I ground down a spanner to very thin tines so that it would just fit on and turn and have tightened it up so that the pipe is not loose any more. Next steaming will prove it one way or another.

Bob

Atlas

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Waterpump feedpipe Empty Thin spanners

Post  Steve Traill Sun 06 Sep 2009, 11:28 pm

When I built my engine I made several 'special' spanners made from some old bike multi purpose spanners. The steel is pretty good and they are easy to come by at boot sales etc. They are nice and thin and you can make then as long or short as you want to get into awkward spots. When I've finished one I then wrap some coloured insulating tape around the handle so it's easier to use and can be spotted in the bottom of my tool box easily (It's always in the bottom!) sunny
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down