Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home made boiler & paperwork

+2
lynnr
TheFodenBrothers
6 posters

Go down

Home made boiler & paperwork Empty Home made boiler & paperwork

Post  TheFodenBrothers Tue 07 Aug 2018, 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

hoping some of you very knowledgeable people can help me out! I am looking at a steam engine that most of you have probably seen on ebay. Its a 6" (although things like the tender dont seem to be in proportion) 'Burrell' steam engine.

Its a much older model but has no paperwork and no boiler numbers etc. Is this pretty much impossible to have certified now for use on a rally field?

Also what do you all think its realistically worth? Its a very very basic model with some things that really need sorting, its also only a single speed!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Live-Steam-Traction-Engine-6-Inch-Scale-Burrell-Coal-Fired/132380789874?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

TheFodenBrothers

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Home made boiler & paperwork Empty Re: Home made boiler & paperwork

Post  lynnr Tue 07 Aug 2018, 3:27 pm

Hi

Also remember without boiler materials paperwork you will find it near impossible to get insurance. You will not be able to run this anywhere there is public access. So no running on the street etc. Even a shared drive is a no no as within the distance limit to "public" access areas.

Personally I would walk away from it.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 07 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm

This engine has been for sale for ever and being a freelance with no paper work I would not give more than 2k and that's if I was feeling generous

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFodenBrothers Tue 07 Aug 2018, 3:48 pm

Hmm, and there is absolutely no way to get an older boiler certified even through testing and checking welds and thicknesses? Are there any bodies out there that can inspect historical work and sign it off as safe?

TheFodenBrothers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 07 Aug 2018, 4:12 pm

there is no way that I know of to ID the steel
For a steel boiler you need tickets for the steel ,a coded welder and inspections for the welds and that's before you do pressure tests
If you bought that engine you would end up scraping the boiler and rebuilding on a new boiler and if you cant use a existing type you would have to go for type approval and that all costs
I think I would walk away

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFodenBrothers Tue 07 Aug 2018, 4:19 pm

Cheers guys. Appreciate the input. So it really is only worth a few grand as a garden toy!

TheFodenBrothers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 07 Aug 2018, 5:04 pm

I think the only question you have to ask yourself is would you want to sit behind a engine with your legs spread wide behind a boiler with no paperwork at 100+ psi Very Happy

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Wed 08 Aug 2018, 12:35 am

A very LARGE barge pole comes to mind...….
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Home made boiler & paperwork Empty full size

Post  iain Wed 08 Aug 2018, 8:45 am

I'm sure you could get it tested. Just think of the number of full size engines brought back to life with original parts of the boiler. Mine is still on its original barrel and there is no paperwork for that.

Whether it would be worth it is another question. You could remove a piece and get the material tested etc.

There is always a way, however details of the design would need to be worked out.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 08 Aug 2018, 7:36 pm

Its been up for grabs for ages, but lack of paperwork is going to make it a really hard sell. I wondered if the dealer got bumped on it in some kind of part exchange not realising the importance of paperwork.

The only option would be to use the services of a trusted commercial boiler inspector, yes it may well cost you a few quid of their time but far better than buy a pup you cant do anything with. You may even find a boiler inspector who already knows the model and will be able to tell you more and if its at all feasible to get a ticket on it.

Must admit its not my cuppa and there are much better 6" models out there to spend your cash on.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFodenBrothers Mon 13 Aug 2018, 10:45 am

Cheers for all the advice and help!

Agree with all of it, was just so cheap I knew there had to be a reason. Its a shame as it looks like with some work it 'could' be a nice model. Certainly does need a lot of work though!

TheFodenBrothers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down