Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running under Steam

5 posters

Go down

Running under Steam Empty Running under Steam

Post  Phil Uridge Tue 22 Aug 2017, 8:42 pm

Hi,

Just thought should share a couple of issues I had after running my engine under steam which had not shown up when running on air.

I fired my engine for the second time today and had a problem with the water pump. It will not keep up with the water needed to refill the boiler. Works ok below 15 psi but as the steam pressure rises less water is pumped in so I had to shut down as soon as I got a decent fire going. The problems is water is leaking out the return to tank port as the pressure rises. If I block the return to tank I get good pressure on the feed side. Appears to be the on/off valve leaking.

The second problem I had was the cylinder lubricator not pumping oil when things get hot. I think it is the one-way valve letting steam in with the oil causing an air lock. I have adjusted the valve hopefully it will work ok next time.

General the engine runs very well, very smooth although I haven't been able to get a good head of steam as yet because of the water pump. I am going to call STW tomorrow regarding the pump.

I must admit getting/keeping the fire going is a challenge at the moment Very Happy

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Running under Steam Empty Re: Running under Steam

Post  Alan Grant Tue 22 Aug 2017, 8:59 pm

Are you using a chimney extension? I had trouble getting my 4" going and the longer chimney creates considerably more draft. I believe for 2" it is better to use a blower.

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:09 pm

Alan,

Oh yes, I tried and 12" cardboard tube, no much help. So I tried a 3'6" tube that was better but in the end I had to resort to the blower with 24 volts go get a very nice draft. That worked well and got the fire going nicely only to have to shutdown due to lack of water. pale

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm

Your water pump issue sounds as though its the bypass valve leaking as you say. I believe this is a taper cock valve? so may need bedding in. Does it not have an injector? You should have enough water in the boiler from first fill to raise more than enough steam to be able to use it.

As for the lubricator, did you prime the pipework when fitting it? Has the tank filled with water and blown all the oil out of the top? This would indicate steam leaking back. A strip and clean of the oil clack may be all that is required.
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the bypass valve and it apears to be a straight shank. It has a rubber "o" ring to stop water leaking out the end but i must admit I can see how it can seal properly in the case. I have been having trouble contacting STW, not replying to emails and I think the phones asre out again today.

I know what you mean I should using the injector but I am still having beginners problems lighting the fire and when I do get steam up getting the injector to work is a bit of a knack. By then I'm running out of water. pale

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Fri 25 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

Hi Phil, I don't know if you missed it. Lynn at STW gave a pretty good account about the injector system in reply to my post about injector valve and injector a couple of weeks ago. If thats any help.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Fri 25 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm

Sorry

Steam Traction World is having problems with phones again. BT has been called.

I have replied again to your email about the water pump and request it returned so I can figure out the root cause of the problem as it is a very simple item with 2 ball valves, a piston and effectively a gate valve.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Fri 25 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

Mike,
I'll have a look at that, thanks.

Lynn,
I have removed and boxed up the pump. Will post on Tuesday.
Many thanks for your replies.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down