Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres

3 posters

Go down

Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres Empty Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres

Post  steamlaser Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:46 pm

I am ready to join the ends of the rubber tyres togeather. However as supplied the angle made when the ends are butted togeather are all wrong and will put the joint under strain if glued.
I have tried to file/mill the ends to make a match so one achieves a uniform circular shape, but to no avail.
I would appreciate any advice on the best method to use.
Many thanks.

steamlaser

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-11-13

Back to top Go down

Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres Empty Re: Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres

Post  Mike King Fri 21 Apr 2017, 6:10 pm

To be honest, I dont think you'll have a problem if you use a good quality superglue. I had the same issue as you and pressed ahead. I didnt alter the ends of the rubber, glued it, left for 24 hours. To prove the joint I just stood in the loop and pulled. No problem at all. The hardest part was fitting to the rims.
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres Empty Re: Bonding the ends of the rubber tyres

Post  lynnr Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:25 pm

Clean the ends. Rough up with a sanding disk in the grinder. Fresh bottle of superglue (other brands are available). You can hang from it easily.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down