Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drain cocks

4 posters

Go down

drain cocks Empty drain cocks

Post  Mike King Mon 20 Mar 2017, 2:51 pm

Hi can anyone tell me the thread size of the cylinder drain cocks on 2"Burrell?
Thanks
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

drain cocks Empty DRAIN COCKS

Post  Proby Mon 20 Mar 2017, 5:44 pm

Hi Mike,
Steve here. To make sure we're talking the same part on the 2" and to avert a 'cock-up' lol! is this part no.BU20708,SP54205 & fastener. The fastener being that when you undo it the water pisses out . If that is the case then the thread on the fastener is M4. The thread on the drain bush and nut is twice the size but it's not metric. That's where I'm stumped as well. I've not finally fitted mine yet but it seems quite a loose thread which leads me to think not to over tighten it as it may strip the thread so might use loctite as well . Sorry I can't be more help. A visit to a local engineering firm that have thread gauges would tell you straightaway maybe.

Hope this helps. Steve.

Proby

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-09-28

Back to top Go down

drain cocks Empty Re: drain cocks

Post  Mike King Mon 20 Mar 2017, 5:58 pm

Hi Steve,
The numbers according to my sheet are BU22225 and BU22250. The valve itself is called a tap on the sheet (BU22225) What happened to me was that, before fitting I decided to air test them, one was totally blocked with solder, anyway by the time that I messed with it unsolfered and unblocked it and resoldered it, it now leaks bsdly on the stem. I have decided to replace the two of them with quality valves. These seem too flimsy to me. So I just want to make sure that the threads are the same as the ones that I have. I do have measured them across the threads and think that they are 3/16," but i dont know the T.P.I.
Regards
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Tue 21 Mar 2017, 8:10 am

Mike King wrote:Hi Steve,
                 The numbers according to my sheet are BU22225 and BU22250. The valve itself is called a tap on the sheet (BU22225) What happened to me was that, before fitting I decided to air test them, one was totally blocked with solder, anyway by the time that I messed with it unsolfered and unblocked it and resoldered it, it now leaks bsdly on the stem. I have decided to replace the two of them with quality valves. These seem too flimsy to me. So I just want to make sure that the threads are the same as the ones that I have. I do have measured them across the threads and think  that they are 3/16," but i dont know the T.P.I.
       Regards
           Mike

Its an ME thread 3/16 x 40 tpi

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Tue 21 Mar 2017, 8:37 am

Thanks Ian, thats just the job.
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

drain cocks Empty DRAIN COCKS

Post  Proby Tue 21 Mar 2017, 6:33 pm

Hi Mike
I had a slight feeling I was wrong and boy was I!! Never mind. Feel like a right banana albino . You must be near completion way ahead of me but I'm glad the solution has been found for you.
Best regards.
Steve

Proby

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Tue 21 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

No problem Steve. Yes I just have two kits to go. Its all been a very interesting project. Ive not got a clue what im going to do with my time when this is finished.
Regards
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Sat 01 Jul 2017, 3:10 pm

Help.

I had the same problem with my valves being blocked with solder. I have drill out the blockage but I have one opens to the left and one opens to the right, is that correct? I would have thought they should both open together.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sat 01 Jul 2017, 4:27 pm

You are right Phil, they should  both open the same way. I found that mine are closed in the central position. I must admit that mine still leaked, so I bought some alternative ones and soldered my new pipes to them.
      Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil Uridge Sat 01 Jul 2017, 9:15 pm

Mike,

Many thanks for the advice. I see they sell them left and right handed.

Phil

Phil Uridge

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down