Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

superheater

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

superheater - Page 2 Empty superheater

Post  jjtjr Sat 27 Jun 2020, 9:44 pm

Things have been slow here in NJ because of the virus so I haven't had the time to steam the car, things are starting to slowly return to opening up there are some car show in my area and cruise nights. this means I will be running the car and will report the findings on temp of the steam to the engine.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

superheater - Page 2 Empty super heater

Post  jjtjr Mon 14 Sep 2020, 12:53 pm

This was my opportunity to report on the findings of the temp of the super heater at the two locations of the probes, one at the steam chest and the other at the exhaust. But as things didn't go as expected. If you read the latest post you will see why. Once I repair the Diff problem I will report the findings.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

superheater - Page 2 Empty super heat

Post  jjtjr Tue 20 Oct 2020, 12:25 pm

Since the diff was removed from the car because of the broken gears. I decided to remove the bottom cover of the boiler to inspect the tubes and superheater, there was a little heat distortion on one section of the superheater not much, clamping it was a good thing. The other thing that was noticed  was a lot of soot on the tubes.  It looks like the boiler is getting impingement on the tubes from the gun because of the size of the firebox which can not be changed. After calling the manufacturer of the burner. This is what they said. What I have now is a 3 GPH nozzle at 100 PSI on the pump. He said to install a 2.25 GPH nozzle  increase the pump pressure to 150 psi with the pressure increased it will be equivalent to a 2.7 GPH nozzle, move the gun assy to the rearmost position. This will shorten the flame and increase atomization to reduce impingement. Also replaced some insulation on the bottom cover which had wasted away. When I remade the case for the boiler it was made from 14 ga. stainless steel and the case was redesigned so access  was possible from the top and bottom without removing it from the car. That design payed off. Cleaning the tubes is now easy.
This is what I look like after laying under the car cleaning the tubessuperheater - Page 2 Img_6210
jjtjr
jjtjr

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

superheater - Page 2 Empty Re: superheater

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Tue 20 Oct 2020, 7:31 pm

jjtjr wrote:
This is what I look like after laying under the car cleaning the tubessuperheater - Page 2 Img_6210

I would call it good, clean fun - if only it were clean.
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 22 Oct 2020, 7:39 pm

............and you were allowed in the house like that affraid affraid

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

superheater - Page 2 Empty soot soot

Post  jjtjr Thu 22 Oct 2020, 7:54 pm

That's as far as I got, had to take all clothes  off and jump in shower, and I had a hat on and face shield.
jjtjr
jjtjr

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: