Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate

+4
Steve H
LiveSteam
Mark the spark
IanR
8 posters

Go down

Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate Empty Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate

Post  IanR Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I was always under the impression that the test certificate that came with the boiler was valid for 4 years. As I'm rearing the end of my build I was discussing boiler testes with one of the testers at my local Model Engineering Society. He said they would not accept the manufacturers hydraulic test certificate and want do their own before I could run at the club (obviously would need steam test as well). Is this normal or is my club being awkward?

Also please could anyone give advice for preparing it for a hydraulic test as I think the club testers only really have experience of railway locomotives where it is easier to blank off the regulator etc.. I'm concerned that the regulator will let by and the only way to completely blank it off is to remove the cylinder which I obviously don't want to do. How is this normally handled?

Thanks
Ian

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate Empty Re: Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate

Post  Mark the spark Mon 12 Dec 2016, 3:23 pm

the test ticket is for the boiler shell if you like but you have put fittings and a cylinder on and these are now part of the test as they are part of the pressure vessel and require testing to make sure they are sound
give it a test first as the regulator may well seal but it is quite common for it to weep and your tester should know this if you leave the drain cocks open they will drip if the regulator weeps
hope this helps
mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 12 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm

IanR wrote:. I'm concerned that the regulator will let by and the only way to completely blank it off is to remove the cylinder which I obviously don't want to do. How is this normally handled?

Thanks
Ian

My regulator leaks quite nicely Laughing with anything more than 50psi it ticks over rather pleasently, its got no actual power behind it as you can stop the flywheel with your little finger resting on it but I was concerned when I had my hydraulic test last year, but all we did was pop a bit of thin rubber under the regulator puck and then the safety valve blanking plate has a centre screw which pushes down on the puck to seal the reg up nicely.
My boiler inspector was quite happy with that, we did polish the puck a little while we had it out to try and seal it better when in steam but it was going to need more than a quick polish and while it improved it a little it was still letting by. Doesnt really bother me as I like the fact the engine turns over "really" slowly when in steam and I dont have to faff with the regulator to acheive it Cool Boiler inspector was quite happy with it.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Tue 13 Dec 2016, 12:42 pm

Thanks. That's reassuring. I'll be at the club on Saturday so will discuss it with them.

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Wed 14 Dec 2016, 9:47 am

IanR wrote:Thanks. That's reassuring. I'll be at the club on Saturday so will discuss it with them.

Would be interested to know,please keep us informed Ian.
Have a good Christmas buddy
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Wed 14 Dec 2016, 3:28 pm

Hi Steve, Will do. I'm going to take some photo's of it's current state for them to look at and hopefully get some advice on what they would want me to do for a test. Then maybe organise a 'dummy test'

Have a good Christmas yourself.

IanR

Back to top Go down

Boiler Hydraulic Test Certificate Empty hydaulic test

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:49 pm

I had to have my boiler tested with no fittings on at all. This meant I had to make blanks for any holes in the boiler. I pressurised the boiler with 100psi of air and after leaving it in the summer sun for 4 hours, the pressure increased to 105.The Boiler inspector was impressed with that but still pumped it up to 150 to be sure.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Thu 15 Dec 2016, 8:18 am

chrisnchrisroberts wrote:I had to have my boiler tested with no fittings on at all. This meant I had to make blanks for any holes in the boiler. I pressurised the boiler with 100psi of air and after leaving it in the summer sun for 4 hours, the pressure increased to 105.The Boiler inspector was impressed with that but still pumped it up to 150 to be sure.

I wouldn't pressurise with just air, air is elastic and potentially dangerous, fill the boiler with water first then you can use air to pressurise it, if a problem occurs it will leak rather than explode.

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Thu 15 Dec 2016, 9:37 am

chrisnchrisroberts wrote:I had to have my boiler tested with no fittings on at all.

I really hope they don't insist on this as I've already fitted the cylinder and quite a few of the fittings.

IanR

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:31 pm

Unless you've had the boiler for years the certificate supplied by STW should be valid. The boiler inspector will want to test the integrity of all the other joints... cylinder block gasket, pipework etc.
You should never test with air or any other gas, as if you have a failure under pressure it will go bang due to the stored energy, but when using water which cannot be compressed you only need to pump in a small amount to raise the pressure, therefore if you have a joint fail you simply get a little wet. There should be a little lift on the regulator valve so you could always cut a small piece of thin rubber or nitrile sheet, put that under the valve and refit the cover, as the pressure raises during the hydraulic test the valve should seal against the rubber - I've done this on a full size Aveling roller. Just remember to take the rubber out after the test.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Thu 15 Dec 2016, 8:07 pm

Its a few years since I did the hydraulic test and yes I did fill with water first.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 15 Dec 2016, 8:25 pm

That is why its called a hydraulic examination and not pneumatic.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down