Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

initial firing of 2" Burrell

+2
Mark the spark
Mike King
6 posters

Go down

initial firing of 2" Burrell Empty initial firing of 2" Burrell

Post  Mike King Thu 24 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

I wonder if anyone can advise. I have just 5 kits left to go on my engine. Hopefully firing it up by around next May. I'm wondering if its worth the initial steaming by using a gas burner instead of coal. As a complete novice, I was thinking that should anything go wrong, the fire could be easily extinguished. Anyway everyone, whats your thoughts and advice?
Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

initial firing of 2" Burrell Empty Re: initial firing of 2" Burrell

Post  Mark the spark Thu 24 Nov 2016, 3:10 pm

I would not use a gas burner myself as they can cause hot spots
start with a small fire if you are unsure and build it up
if you get over your head the best way I have found to put a fire out is stuff a rag in the top of the chimney and turn on the blower on this forces the steam down the tubes and through the fire and puts it out very quickly
this is how I do it and other people will have there own ways
hope this helps
mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 24 Nov 2016, 3:22 pm

Thanks Mark, i hadn't thought of the hotspot issue. It seems thag your suggestion makes the most sense. Once again thanks. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 24 Nov 2016, 8:45 pm

As Mark says steer clear of gas burners Shocked likely to warm it all up way to quick especially as the 2" is a copper boiler from memory.

I suspect you'll have enough fun just lighting and trying to keep a fire going in a 2" to start with rather than worry about it running away with you Wink
I know our little 5" gauge locomotive which must have a very similar size copper boiler would be far more interested in going out than staying alight Laughing and took a reasonable amount of skill to maintain a fire that would produce decent steam that would drive the loco.

When I moved to the 4" Agri I was gobsmacked at the sheer amount of wood it would consume and keep consuming until the box was full, compared to the little loco which I would feed what felt like a box of matches compared to the half a tree the agri would consume Laughing
When that lots burning and the once I thought it might be going horribly wrong I just closed the damper lobbed a rag down the chiminey and was surprised out how quick the whole raging inferno of half a tree was just a smouldering mess within about 2-3mins Cool

So I dont think you'll have any probs with your 2", just enjoy the moment when you apply that match for the very first time Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info, sounds like you've got it sussed. I'm nglad that I asked the quest. As I said, its my first foray into steam, so any information is welcome. Once again thanks. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:57 pm

The only one problem you'll get.......................is you'll just keep wanting to light that fire Laughing

Steam is VERY addictive and should really come with an addiction warning Laughing

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Fri 25 Nov 2016, 7:36 am

The closest ive been to steaming up is putting the kettle on!! Smile

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 25 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

Do not use gas. Use just wood.

You can always drop the grate.

Have a look at the video I did of Roadloco's first fire. Take it easy and relax. Small fire to 30psi check everything. Bit bigger fire to 60psi check everything. Repeat until you are comfortable.

As long as there is water in the glass (Remember to check the glass is clear regularly) and out of gear. Not a lot can actually happen.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Fri 25 Nov 2016, 10:39 am

Thank you Lynn,
More good advice.
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:07 pm

Start with the gauge glass half full of water, as the boiler warms up the water will expand and the level will rise slightly.
Use a chimney extension if needed to help draw the fire, don't be tempted to use the blower as this will only lower the water level. Providing you've used suitable jointing material and not cardboard from a cereal packets as used by another builder on this forum, and made sure all other joints / threads are tight you should be fine, it's a steam engine not a nuclear reactor. If you do need to halt steam raising simply shut the damper and fire-hole door and remove the chimney extension if in use. Do not attempt to cool the boiler down by opening the fire-door as this will allow cold air into the hot firebox and cause problems. Take your time, have a cuppa and oil the motion while waiting for the needle to come off the stop.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:53 pm

Thank you. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 26 Nov 2016, 10:38 am

Nothing wrong with cornflake packet gaskets Crystals have been on for 4 years and many hundreds of hours in steam with no problem.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:24 am

lynnr wrote:Nothing wrong with cornflake packet gaskets Crystals have been on for 4 years and many hundreds of hours in steam with no problem.

The basis of having used cornflake boxes for jointing for a number of years without incident does not prove it is either good engineering practise or safe…
If anyone wishes to use cardboard for gaskets on their engine in the confines of their back garden I would call them fool hardy, however taking the engine out amongst the public where children are present makes you dangerous and irresponsible.
Steam at 170 psi is at a temperature of 187 deg’ C, there are a number of joints on a road locomotive / traction engine that can be subject to full boiler pressure and require the use of proper jointing material.
If a joint blew out and a member of the public was scalded any insurance cover would immediately be brought into question due to unsuitable materials having been used - assuming you have public liability insurance, a claim for negligence could be made against the engine owner as the insurance company would most probably take several steps backwards.

Not to mention the potential implications across our hobby, And in the eyes of the law ignorance is no defence.

Anyone new to steam and not having any engineering experience would be wise to join their local model engineering club / society or seek advice elsewhere.

If anyone thinks this is alarmist then try airing the subject on Traction Talk or raising the matter with their boiler inspector.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 27 Nov 2016, 1:22 pm

Not wanting to get into an argument over gaskets as cardboard gaskets can and are fine to use under certain circumstances in my opinion. Like small scale garden steam where your only running periodically at low pressure and away from the public at your own risk.

I would be very careful Lynn using cardboard ones if your out in public as mentioned above. Your insurance company would be looking for any excuse to back away from the claim if something were to fail and it does happen.. even with proper klinger certified seals. Had one on the Fowler clack a few year ago. Luckily no one was standing near it....
It would be the first place they look under investigation as to why someone was scalded and i'm sure Kellogs wont provide you with a pressure certificate for their packaging.

If you are tempted to use cardboard then only use them where if they fail scalding steam isn't going to get past. The pump as and example.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down