Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VIN plate location

4 posters

Go down

VIN plate location  Empty VIN plate location

Post  MrStationHouse Sun 01 Mar 2015, 7:16 pm

Hi all,

I am sorting out my registration and DVLA have asked for a long VIN number to be stamped on, where have others stamped their numbers.

Thanks
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

VIN plate location  Empty Re: VIN plate location

Post  Tony King Mon 02 Mar 2015, 7:32 am

Hi Simon,

DVLA specify the number has to be stamped into the offside chassis, so I stamped mine into the right hand side hornplates on both My engines. I also made up brass plates with the numbers stamped in & fixed them very visibly to the nearside tender sides.... Then got local garage mechanic to come up & verify the numbers etc & he signed & stamped the DVLA form.

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

Strange, the VIN number for Blackbeard was the boiler number already stamped onto the plate on the boiler, this was satisfactory for the DVLA in Preston.

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Mon 02 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

That's the trouble, every DVLA office is different, I followed the exact procedure laid down by Lynn and still had a host of questions!

With best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 03 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm

The VIN number DVLA issued me with was to be stamped onto the chassis no specific location was made. So the smoke box which supports the front suspension was my choice. I stamped the number on the front of the smoke box where it will be hidden when the smoke box door is closed. The local garage agreed it met the conditions set out in the DVLA letter and they signed the certificate.
Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Wed 04 Mar 2015, 10:11 am

I did supply the boiler numbers as being my engine numbers, but DVLA still issued the new numbers, which presumably tie up with their registration system! There's a lot of changes now DVLA have closed all their local offices & everything is being done from Swansea! Everything is being "standardised", you can't get the "local DVLA man" to look at your engine anymore, so I can understand why the changes are now in place!.. It's a pain, but have to say the system did eventually work for Me!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down