Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over a barrel

4 posters

Go down

Over a barrel Empty Over a barrel

Post  hughb Sat 18 Apr 2009, 9:16 pm

Hi
As I am getting on with my engine I do wonder what I will pull.But from one tred from Lillyjack on how it works .we now have found out that water is used a lot more tham I had relised . Pluss I see in gallerys that some of the engines carry water bottles ,ie big plastic pot , so as I work in wood all the time and have wanted to make a barrel . Well here is sum of the work so far for it and just a bit of whot is going on .
Pics Over a barrel Cimg2280The wood as we get it at work .Over a barrel Cimg2282Testing for steatnes Very Happy
Over a barrel Cimg2250ok all planed up and jointed.
Over a barrel Cimg2251 Over a barrel Cimg2246. I do like using my drawer knifes and coffing plane.As I do love to use the traditional tools. Smile Laughing
Over a barrel Cimg2244Just fiddling in side here.
Over a barrel Cimg2275Ok now after about 7houer of work now and a lot of tea {Idid lose the tea pot at one point} Sad
I had to make bands for the barrel Over a barrel Cimg2271Over a barrel Cimg2269But then put them on well whot a job Over a barrel Cimg2275Ok all done about 9hours now and it is 8.30am time to stop and have brekfast. Now I am at the poit were I am pollishing it .So as it drys I can work on the ends thay well be carved and the asme wood .later the tank will be made and fitted .I will take pics if you want them put up .Ho yes the barrel. Very Happy Smile as it stands
Over a barrel Cimg2283
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Over a barrel Empty Re: Over a barrel

Post  LilyJack Sun 19 Apr 2009, 9:17 am

Blimey HughB,

What a nice looking job that barrel is, hmmm, I think that would take me approximately 7 weeks, lots of swearing, and seven days and then a trip to a garden centre or something to have something like that.
Very nice indeed sir!!!

Best Regards

LilyJack Very Happy

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Over a barrel Empty wooden steam

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Sun 19 Apr 2009, 12:44 pm

Saw this at Belvoir Castle in 2007. It was running on steam!! Excellant!! Chris Roberts, Australia.

Over a barrel Belvoi11

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 19 Apr 2009, 5:38 pm

WOW Shocked
Is that made of wood then .I gess the Piston is not . Well cool thanks for the pic
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Mon 20 Apr 2009, 10:00 pm

WOW Hugh that's very nice looking and very quickly made.. I bet you could make a nice driving car that will show that off nicely. a bit like the ROCKET Loco maybe.. Very nice work once again..

cheers

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 21 Apr 2009, 9:34 pm

Hi
I was thinking of a chest as I now have only maed 6 now ....
But this one will be maed in brown oak and have brass bands on it . Pluss I will line the inside with ceder.
But it will be a bit of time yet .
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 30 Apr 2009, 8:42 pm

Hi well
I have had a lot to do so here are my Barrel ends for you to see and a bit of what is going on .
Over a barrel Cimg2313Got them carved out this was done on our CNC router at work .I can do this BUT it took the CNC 1 minet
Over a barrel Cimg2314Putting the stane on look it is Orange??? now it isOver a barrel Cimg2316Just turning brown and reacting ...........Just a bit of time and WOW it is done well must let it dryOver a barrel Cimg2319
I will fit them when thay are dry and coated later so back on the engine.
Good luck to one and all Evil or Very Mad Laughing Smile
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum