Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting valve

3 posters

Go down

starting valve Empty starting valve

Post  Kevster Sat 04 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

Hi all,

I have been looking at my starting valve and have found the hole in the cylinder block is too small for  the valve spindle . has anyone else found this too?

Did you just open the hole out to the required amount?

I dont want to start drilling until I had a bit of advice from others in front of me

Thanks

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

starting valve Empty Re: starting valve

Post  highpressure Sat 04 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

Yes drill the block, I'm sure there should have been mention of it in the words. I think it's about 6mm. Cant really come to any harm, the hole is simply for the spindle to go into when the button is used. You do need to give the ball a really good whack in a vice or something to get a seat that seals, this is the problem with the valve leaking and seating it well saves any issues with it letting by and causing run on.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Kev,

Hole now drilled and valve in place

I have seen before the notion to swap the spring for a stronger one is that advisable or is the stock spring ok?

Thanks

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Mon 06 Jan 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi Kev,

I went for a harder spring, but that was because I had not seated the ball correctly, so the original should be fine. If you get a spare ball bearing (obviously the same size) and give it a good whack in the starter housing so it leaves a slight bevel on the edge of the hole and then re-insert your original ball bearing it should seat correctly.

As Kev has said many times in various threads the starter is a pain in the backside for passing if not seating correctly, so make sure it seals.

It took me several attempts to get it right, but now it works a treat...  Very Happy 

Cheers,

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:36 pm

I replaced mine as I lost it in grass ona field!! It may have helped to seal it better but Brians comment about seating it well is the answer. It is a great asset once it works and saves any pulling on the flywheel as is often seen at rallies.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down