Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lubricator issue

4 posters

Go down

Lubricator issue Empty Lubricator issue

Post  highpressure Tue 31 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

Went to Preston over the weekend and saw Ricks engine which was very nicely finished, all credit to him and feels very different to drive so came home and did some housekeeping. His lubricator was the original and seems to have been behaving over the summer, mine has been slipping on the clutches due to microscopic wear on the shaft and has a constant leak so I have decided to service it. The shaft shouldnt be a problem but the oil seal is the issue allowing the steam oil to run out past the bearings permantantly emptying it over a week into the drip tray and carpets. The o ring fits the shaft OK but is just sloppy by a few mill in the bearing cavity. Anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to stop this for the new year.

Also finally repainted the water pump and polished the ram to stop it wearing the gland packing out as it has been. Repacked the diff gears and reset the endfloat on the axle to reduce it knocking sideways. Otherwise getting set for the steamtest and hydraulic test together with Andy hopefully in February whose final kits are imminent and we shall be lighting up soon.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Lubricator issue Empty lubricator

Post  Brian M Fri 03 Jan 2014, 7:53 pm

Hi Kev,

To be honest, I had no faith in those STW supplied lubricators from the off. I binned mine and bought a ratchet-based lubricator (expensive I know, but at least I can see [and hear] the spindle going round).  I had to make a slight modification (drill a hole in the lubricator arm so it would work), but apart from that it was straight forward to fit and works well!

ATB

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Lubricator issue Empty Re: Lubricator issue

Post  Kevster Sat 04 Jan 2014, 7:48 am

Brian,

Thats exactly what I did too, more expense but looks and sounds better and as you  say you know its working

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 04 Jan 2014, 8:18 am

I am of the opinion that I have already paid for a working lubricator and thats what I want. The past 12 months have been the worst for me since I left school 24 years ago so funds are absolutely nil and I dont want to spend over £135 on something like that. I know a number of owners who still have the original unit working after a number of years and to be truthfull it worked fine for the first 6-7 months and if the couple of little niggling things can be sorted it should be fine.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Lubricator issue Empty One way clutch bearings

Post  atomenter Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

Hi All
After a few times of steaming I was having problems with the clutches slipping on the lubricators on my SWB Foden.  I ordered new one way needle clutch roller bearings (type HF0406 4mm x 8mm x 6mm) on e-bay for a couple of pounds and they have worked great since, no more slipping.
Regards
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Sun 05 Jan 2014, 1:22 pm

highpressure wrote:I am of the opinion that I have already paid for a working lubricator and thats what I want.

Fair point. I have kept hold of my old one, so let me know if you find a resolution to the needle clutch.

ATB

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 12 Jan 2014, 4:58 pm

Good progress on this, the oil seal was easily replaced by one from ebay listed as 4mm i.d. with 2mm x section which fits well in the bearing housing. I may have incorrectly assembled it the first time but it know is dry whihc was a niggle for me. I also bought two new clutches off ebay at the same time and have fitted one so far, it all works well now and I will see how it progresses over the next year, but I have also been told microscopic wear on the shaft stops it from gripping and I have a solution to that if needed.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down