Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roading Locos

3 posters

Go down

Roading Locos Empty Roading Locos

Post  lynnr Wed 21 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

Hi All

Question for those who have done the pub runs! Grr not many of them up here. Grrr

How many miles can you do on a Tender and Belly tank of water and what would your coal usage be?

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Roading Locos Empty Re: Roading Locos

Post  highpressure Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi All

Question for those who have done the pub runs! Grr not many of them up here. Grrr

How many miles can you do on a Tender and Belly tank of water and what would your coal usage be?

Having done loads ( but not quite as many as Blackbeard !!! ) I would estimate at least 10 miles on a full water system and full coal bunker but you would probably run out of coal first. I've not actually worked it out properly just what it feels like, we did over 6 at Liss and there was still water in the tender, if you fill the bowser as well then there would be loads just in case.

I know what my solution would be to the lack of rallies and road runs Very Happy:D
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:17 pm

At Crathes last Saturday I used about 45 to 50 gallon of water. The water fill point on the field was fairly easy to get to so did not actually use the water bowser supply until late in the evening while generating.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 22 Aug 2013, 12:12 am

Lynn

From my experience so far I would say 7-8 miles. The injector will stop before the pump as it is higher up the slope of the bottom of the tender. Hill climbing gets rid of quite a bit as you tend to be in full forward gear, a lot of flat work with the engine notched back will be more water efficient.

Regarding the coal situation, the 18 mile round trip to Longridge show used one tender full plus one full bag of steam coal.

Brian

PS: Has anyone measured bellytank plus tender water capacity???
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down