Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chimney paint

4 posters

Go down

Chimney paint Empty Chimney paint

Post  Crazy_jim Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:49 pm

I've been studying the threads on here and Plastikote BBQ paint seems to be what most people or using. My question is are people undercoating first with something or just slapping it straight on? Are people using the same paint for the brass plates on the front of the smokestack?

Also are there any easy ways to fit the chimney base? Mine is taking a lot of filing and is causing me a few headaches getting a nice snug fit.

As always, any advice great fully received.

Jim
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Chimney paint Empty Re: Chimney paint

Post  Robfishman Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:30 pm

Can't help with the chimney base but in relation to the painting I used VHT paint from Frost, but gave it a really good sand to get a good key and applied direct. I think Adam gave advice on this somewhere and advised etch primer. Let me have a dig and ill come back with the link.

Edit..... https://traction.forumotion.com/t1624-zintec-cladding#13797
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Chimney paint Empty Chimney base

Post  Hamish Lonsdale Wed 16 Oct 2013, 10:37 am

The technique I used was to tape a sheet of metal oxide paper to the smokebox (only one layer ), and then rub the bronze casting over the sheet in both directions. I continued rubbing until there was a polished area all around the outside edge of the casting about 5mm wide. I reasoned that the foliac would take care of the rest. The two diameters (smokebox and base) would be slightly different by the thickness of the abrasive paper, but in practice you can't see the join and I am happy with the end result.
Has anyone got a comment about why it shouldn't be done that way?
Best wishes,
Hamish.
Hamish Lonsdale
Hamish Lonsdale

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Wed 16 Oct 2013, 8:02 pm

Hi Jim,
I painted my chimney,base, and smokebox with Halfords high temperature paint 6 years ago, and it still looks good these days. I used no primer on the steel and iron parts, but the name rings were etch primed before using the HT paint. I simply flatted the paint off with 1200 wet'n'dry to reveal the brass lettering.
As for the chimney base to the smokebox,I recall having no real problems. Just one of those jobs that takes a while to get right. Mind you,foliac and paint will hide a multitude of sins!
Hope this helps,

Tony.
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy_jim Wed 19 Mar 2014, 8:15 am

Hamish, Tony,

I taped some wet and dry to the smokebox and sanded the chimney base as suggested. I now have a nice snug fitting chimney base! Thanks for the top tip. 2 coats of halfors high temp paint and all is well.
Crazy_jim
Crazy_jim

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down