Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RE rear towing eye height

2 posters

Go down

RE rear towing eye height Empty RE rear towing eye height

Post  mick 100 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

hi all starting to think about building trailer to tow behind 4inch agricultural engine , when engine is on it's wheels does anyone know the height from the ground to the rear tow eye .
many thanks mick and claire . Very Happy

mick 100

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

RE rear towing eye height Empty Towing height

Post  Atlas Fri 26 Apr 2013, 9:51 pm

Mick
The top of the towing eye on my Burrell (batch 1 as amended!) is 35cm and the bottom 30cm off the ground. This is marginally higher than the rear axle so technically the pull creates a force which causes a slight lifting force on the front end. This is more noticeable on rough grass and when starting off. In my case I have constructed a separate lower towing bracket (bolted to the proper towing racket) so that when coupled up it tends to pull level rather than pull the back end down to help stop the front end lifting. I don't know of anyone else who has done this so I suspect most owners have decided it is not worth the bother!
However, it has also enabled me to make a longer foot rest which sticks out more on the near side to avoid catching my left ankle on the bracket which guides the winch cable.
Bob

Atlas

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

RE rear towing eye height Empty RE rear towing eye height

Post  mick 100 Sat 27 Apr 2013, 3:41 pm

thank you Bob you're a star , i was worried about the front lifting. now we know the height of the tow eye we can take that into consideration when building the trailer. Very Happy

mick 100

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

RE rear towing eye height Empty Re: RE rear towing eye height

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down