Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two Stage Regulator

3 posters

Go down

Two Stage Regulator  Empty Two Stage Regulator

Post  Flasback Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:59 am

Just a quick one with regards to the two stage regulator assembly on the DCC engines. I have been pondering with this valve assembly for a bit as I thought I had not built it correctly. The two stage position would not open fully to expose the 10mm stream hole in the cylinder block, hence restricting the stream flow. Once the engine is running the block will grow slightly and restrict the hole even further. I have even considered adding a spacer in the valve body to convert it to a one stage regulator as the regulator lever would also travel 50% of its allowable movement before the second stage would engage; which I was finding a bit frustrating to say the least. Embarassed

I spoke to Steve at STW about this and he confirmed that they had noticed it too on the control model. Unfortunately this was after the valve assembly had been issued in a kit prior to the regulator lever and rods being issued. STW are now looking at an alternative design for the regulator to enable a two stage system to work (and will send out accordingly).
I just thought I would share this with you as I have not seen this topic on the forum before and if you are running the engine and you feel it’s getting a slower as it beds in; or like me you are looking at the valve assembly and thinking you have built incorrectly (after following the instructions) you have not. Razz

Have a great Christmas and looking forward to getting all that brass work next year (already got the kids ready with brasso and rags , it was a shame that the brass did not come out before Christmas as I could have linked the brass cleaning to getting presents, one for one trade Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . Thinking about it from a marketing point of view, the shops will have Easter eggs in from the 27th December I could always link it to that Twisted Evil )

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Two Stage Regulator  Empty Re: Two Stage Regulator

Post  highpressure Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

Dwain, to put your mind at rest I have done quite a few miles on the engine and have modded the regulator as Steve suggested which at this stage is just an M3 nut in the top section meaning the top piece only opens a very short way before engaging the lower portion opening the whole unit up. Trust me you will NEVER need to "open it right up". You'll have a serious accident, Tim and Andy will confirm there is more than enough power and speed as it currently works. There is much more skill in driving slowly in a controlled manner than thrashing about like a boy racer, even on road runs there is plenty of speed, with chain steering and very little brakes it all happens very quickly when things go wrong, the chances of you ever needing "all it can give" are likely to be very limited. When you attend rallies there are so many people wandering about with kids that just run in front of the engine without even thinking you dont want to go quickly.

Hope this puts your mind at rest and have a good Xmas Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 21 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

Hi Dwain

I can concur with Kev. These engines have plenty of power with only have a port open. My engine at 2/3 regulator in 3 rd gear was as fast as I would dare go and only for a short time. Crystal will pull away in 2nd gear on a 1:6 slope with no problem at 160psi. She will also do the hill in 3rd with a 5 yard run at it.

Unless you are going tractor pulling and weights of more than 2T behind you I think you will not be short of power.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down