Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats happened to the roof kit?

5 posters

Go down

Whats happened to the roof kit? Empty Whats happened to the roof kit?

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 16 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm

We are sorry about the delay in producing the last few kits for our Road Loco and Showmans. Despite what you might be thinking that we’ve lost interest in it as we’re getting close to finishing, nothing could be further from the truth.

The problems have all been generated from us trying to actually improve our productivity. It all started a couple of months ago when we decided to buy a CAM package so we could generate CNC programs on a computer rather than on the machines themselves. Longer term we were conscious that our new driven tooling lathe would be complicated if not managed through a CAM package.

These packages are quite expensive especially as we wanted ours to be integrated with our Design software namely Solidworks. For example the Mill Turn package is around £5k.

We wanted to learn to walk before running, so we purchased the software purely for our milling machines. This alone was £1k. We knew at the time that our fairly old Solidworks would need to be upgraded from our 2005 version to the current 2012. This was another £3k to do that.

Once everything was installed I started experiencing problems with opening the larger Solidworks files and this is whats causing the problem with the Road Loco and Showmans. Everytime I open the later kit files by system crashes so I haven’t been able to do any design work.

We have been in contact with the Solidworks technical support who initially told us that it was my graphics card that was causing the problem even though it was perfectly okay with the 2005 version. So we put our hands in our pockets again and bought a very expensive graphics card. Guess what; it still kept crashing. Next on the list was to increase the amount of RAM in my machine from 2GB to 4GB (the max our operating system can handle). Guess what; it still keeps crashing. Now we’re being told that we need to get a completely new computer and operating system.

In fairness to the guys at Solidworks, they were unaware of the size and complexity of our design assemblies. In fact one of their engineers commented on the Showmans design in that it was the largest assembly that he had ever seen in his seven years with Solidworks. Presumably, organizations that deal with large assemblies may well have there own IT dept rather than the way we’re structured!

Whilst we haven’t fully resolved the issues I am now able to get back to completing these designs. We’re probably going to build prototypes for both the Road Loco and Showmans roofs, just to make we get it right in terms of build quality, robustness and appearance. This will inevitably delay things still further, so we’ll probably send out some of the other remaining parts whilst this is being done. More about this a bit later.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Whats happened to the roof kit? Empty Re: Whats happened to the roof kit?

Post  lynnr Tue 16 Oct 2012, 1:10 pm

The crashing solidworks nugget. I know it well.

Thank you very much for the update. It will put a lot of minds at ease.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Whats happened to the roof kit? Empty Canapy update

Post  Tony King Tue 16 Oct 2012, 1:58 pm

Yeah, Thanks Steve, as Lynn says, appreciate update & many thanks!!
I know others may not agree, but I for one would rather you take your time to get it right!
On another subject, how are the Stanley Steam cars coming along............Any chance of some pics from Craig?
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 16 Oct 2012, 4:40 pm

Hi Tony

If I was to take some photos of the Stanleys now it would look like they've actually gone backwards in terms of the build, as I've taken off alot of the brass work. I haven't done much to them over the last couple of months because of all the shows etc. I've started back on them now but its small finishing items going on. That means it takes a long time for only a small visual gain. I'm working on the iron work for the 'soft top' at the moment along with a few other items. When I get bored with one activity I swop over to another thing. I'll ask Craig to post some photos when I think they look a bit different to the previous ones.

By the way a 20hp Stanley engine develops about 1800 ft lbs of torque at 1 rpm. A Bugatti Veron only produces 900 ft lbs at 3,500 rpm or so I'm told!

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 16 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

Hi Steve,
As the others have said - thanks for the up-date on the roof kit. Just wondering when the fly wheel kit will be available - I am away for another few months but my build is still ongoing and my builder is waiting patiently, however I get the feeling he is looking forward to finishing it as much as myself! Any news on a delivery date will set some minds at rest.
Graeme.
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 19 Oct 2012, 2:32 pm

Hi STW

Since there is a delay on the next kits for the RL/SRL. Is there any kit available for the Traction wagon? I guess payment for the Vulcanization could be a possibility. Unless you are able to release 2 kits for the SRL when you get Solidworks going correctly again.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:01 am

Graeme81 wrote:Hi Steve,
As the others have said - thanks for the up-date on the roof kit. Just wondering when the fly wheel kit will be available - I am away for another few months but my build is still ongoing and my builder is waiting patiently, however I get the feeling he is looking forward to finishing it as much as myself! Any news on a delivery date will set some minds at rest.
Graeme.

any up-date on this then?
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Graeme81 Tue 23 Oct 2012, 4:27 pm

Graeme81 wrote:
Graeme81 wrote:Hi Steve,
Graeme.

any up-date on this then?

got word from Isabel today that a flywheel is ready - thanks for the up-dates! Rolling Eyes
Graeme81
Graeme81

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster Sat 27 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

Hi STW,

I got the letter today re kit 30. Can we have the firing irons and chimney extension in 30A please ?

Cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down