Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVLA registration

+2
lynnr
Vapor
6 posters

Go down

DVLA registration  Empty DVLA registration

Post  Vapor Fri 05 Oct 2012, 7:42 pm

Anyone on here know how the DVLA work out what date the registration plates will be the reason I ask is i started my build in 2009 and the boiler is dated 2010 but it won't be complete the back end of this year.

So what registration date will they apply anyone??
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

DVLA registration  Empty Re: DVLA registration

Post  lynnr Fri 05 Oct 2012, 8:57 pm

Mine was date of boiler manufacture as it is the chassis. You will likely need to stamp a VIN on the chassis and have it witnessed. If it is a rolling chassis or appearing to be true likeness to finished vehicle you should get a date for the chassis stamp session. Also greatly depends on the official persons opinion

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:02 pm

Ok thanks Lynn looks like I will need to talk to my local DVLA

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

DVLA registration  Empty DVLA

Post  atomenter Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm

Hi Ian
Edinburgh DVLA gave me an 12 plate, date of giving them all the info. Only problem I had was persuading them that a speed of 20+ mph was not really feasible. Letter from STW was required. The VIN number that I had to teep onto the chassis was the boiler number.
Best of luck
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:19 am

Thanks Tom I will stamp the chassis now and email Steve and get confirmation from him, out of curiosity why must it not be able to go over 20 mph??

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

DVLA registration  Empty DVLA

Post  atomenter Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:34 am

Ian
I wouldn't stamp the chassis yet until the DVLA office confirm the VIN number. Each office could be different. I have my VIN number stamped on a 2" square piece of brass attached to the front chassis leg.
The problem with the 20 mph figure is that DVLA say any vehicle capable of exceeding that speed needs "type approval" before it can be registered. Edinburgh only found out that the Foden was "capable" of exceeding this speed because they looked at STW's website for more information on the vehicle and it was on the website brochure.

Regards

Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 06 Oct 2012, 8:47 am

In October 2014 I believe this is being reduced to 15mph?

Also I read the max legal speed on solid rubber Tyers is 12mph.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sat 06 Oct 2012, 10:38 am

Thanks Tom for the info and email ok i'll wait until I have spoken to them not sure where the local office is on the Isle of Wight suppose it will be Portsmouth or Southampton if that's the case I hope they will travel.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:07 pm

Preston DVLA have insisted on a statement "not capable of exceeding 20mph" for my DCC Road Loco so I got a copy from Steve quite quickly as it was already on file for Tom. it just needed the title changing.

Not sure I would want to go 20mph on a 4" scale engine with chains for steering. Shocked

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:03 pm

Vapor wrote:Thanks Tom for the info and email ok i'll wait until I have spoken to them not sure where the local office is on the Isle of Wight suppose it will be Portsmouth or Southampton if that's the case I hope they will travel.

Ian

The Southampton office closed many years ago, and Portsmouth and Bournemouth are looking likely to be closed by the end of next year. For IoW and me near Southampton, Portsmouth is our office. They are very quick when they have moved my private plates between cars. I drop the paperwork in in the morning and most of the time the following day the paperwork lands back through the door. Under the Government proposals, the work done at the centres will be centralised at the DVLA's headquarters in Swansea they say it will save £28m, but will it really be as quick and efficient......watch this space on that one, but I say probably not, has to add at least another 24hrs on to the process.

As well as the offices in Bournemouth and Portsmouth, the affected offices are located in Beverley in East Yorkshire, Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Carlisle, Chelmsford in Essex, Chester, Exeter, Ipswich, Leeds, Lincoln, Borehamwood in Hertfordshire, Sidcup in south east London, Wimbledon in south west London, Maidstone in Kent, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northampton, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Preston, Sheffield, Shrewsbury, Stockton on Tees, Theale in Berkshire, Truro, Worcester, Bangor in Wales, Cardiff, Swansea, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Inverness.

Edit......Yes it's been confirmed they're closing next December......
http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_events/news_centre/index.cfm/id/7DF74F8C-639B-45CE-9F62686F426FCDE6
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:19 am

Thanks All well I better get my finger out and finish it then.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:25 am

Rob,

The at list is very extensive, many of them have inspection facilities ie someone there and a garage to check that the vehicle has the correct VIN stamped onto the chassis and a VIN plate is fitted. If this now is all centralised in Swansea will we all have to make a trip there to get this inspection done????

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:53 pm

At the moment it's not clear, there have been talk of licensing MOT stations to do the inspections (at a cost to us), and letting the post office check and process paperwork (similar to the passport system) again at cost to us. The problem here is the post office contract comes to and end next year and the powers upon high have already said they may not be renewing the contract and that more DVLA services will be made available on line.

Officially though no word as yet that I have seen.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:19 pm

Actually I am a bit out of date and proposals have been announced and are similar to that above....still not resolved the issue of the post office contract though which has been ignored.... s11.24 and s11.43 deal with first registration and inspections.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/consultations/transformation/Impact%20Assessment.ashx

There is a VOSA inspection centre in Botley near Southampton at the moment, so if it's still there I guess that's where I may be headed.

The good news is I know what my registration number will be....bad news I've got to get it registered to the engine when the time comes, and that may be interesting...
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:50 am

This is getting more confusing by the day, so what is the process from start to finish, I fill in the appropriate forms and send them to the local DVLA office assuming they still exist by that time, do they then visit me (as they did with my kit car) to inspect the vehicle or has got to be transported to them??

The process with my kit car back in the mid ninety’s was they visited me to inspect the car and take a copy of all receipts I then had to get it MOTed I then took all the documents to the DVLA office and they issued the registration number.

So how does it work now?? Bearing in mind it’s on an island and I don’t have a trailer to tow it about and driving it there is not really an option.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:37 am

Hi

Have hope!

I took a set of pictures from all isometric angles, full side on both sides, front and rear and square on TOP. Printed these all on to a single High gloss A4.
I have an envelope with pictures from the building process, The Receipts folder, Boiler Certificate, RTA + Fire theft insurance documents and the instruction plan folder.

I filled in the required forms as specified earlier on my thread. Took the lot to the local station with the payment. They asked to keep the lot for a few days. 4 days later I get a phone call to say my documents and tax disc is ready for collection. Please try not to blow this process out the water. Some people appear to have some problems but patience. I did get a phone call about the top speed but Steve sorted that.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Wed 10 Oct 2012, 12:00 pm

Thanks Lynn, the biggest problem seems to be consistancy or lack of it, no problem thats one thing I am and thats consistant Smile
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:03 am

Well here is a change already....letter I received by email in the week. Won't affect the build projects but may your classic cars. Watch your insurance though as this may require a valid MOT.

DVLA registration  8173467261_df1957e25a_o
Untitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr

DVLA registration  8173467697_29949bd684_o
Untitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content