Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan's 4" Burrell

+2
Brian M
Dan
6 posters

Go down

Dan's 4" Burrell Empty Dan's 4" Burrell

Post  Dan Tue 22 May 2012, 4:15 pm

I've been building the Burrell now for about 8 months. Time has flown by! I started the build by making a bench and constructing a workshop which takes up about a quarter of the garage. It's got an external door but the finished engine would not fit through so I have made a false wall in the room that gains access to the main garage. There are some pictures of those 2 projects elsewhere on the forum. It's proven it's warmth over the winter period remaining a cosy 18 degrees for the duration. Anyway, pictures of builds on this forum are a constant source of enthusiasm and interest for most of us so it is time for me to contribute!

First up are 2 front wheels, a perch bracket and a blackened leaf spring. What are peoples views on painting the centre of the wheels? I haven't but with hindsight.... The colour is Craftmaster crimson lake. It was going to be green, then plum, then green, in the end I asked the better half what colour she liked and crimson lake it was!

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4077

Next up are my rear wheels and a dusty smokebox. The rear wheels only need to be wire wheeled before painting. Oh hang on, I've got a handfull of nuts to round off as well and an oiler to fit before priming:

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4079

More dusty parts. All of these need little touches of paint where I baked the VHT paint in the oven and left bits behind when removing them Rolling Eyes

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4082

Here's my water cart chassis, flatted back ready for final coat of black enamel. It's a a bit too windy out there today to spray it though:

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4083

Inside the workshop and cart wheels and spring hangers ready for their first coat of undercoat this evening:

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4084

Finally, lots of tins of chemicals Smile It's looking surprisingly organised today!

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4085

Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Dan's 4" Burrell Empty Re: Dan's 4" Burrell

Post  Brian M Tue 22 May 2012, 5:34 pm

Hi Dan,

Love the 'Big Wipes' picture, I use them also. Crimson Lake is definitely the best way to go, make sure you use the Craftmaster recommended undercoat for the richest colour.

Good luck with the build,

Brian M

Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Tue 22 May 2012, 6:09 pm

Brian M wrote:Hi Dan,

Love the 'Big Wipes' picture, I use them also. Crimson Lake is definitely the best way to go, make sure you use the Craftmaster recommended undercoat for the richest colour.

You mean this colour? Just been and sprayed 'em Very Happy

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4088
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Tue 22 May 2012, 7:16 pm

Hi Dan,
It's great to see more pictures of someone elses build. You're getting a good finish on your metal & I deffinately like to colour!!
Keep the pics of progress coming, you can never get too many on this forum, as it's always an interest for other builders.
regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 22 May 2012, 9:27 pm

Tony King wrote:Hi Dan,
It's great to see more pictures of someone elses build. You're getting a good finish on your metal & I deffinately like to colour!!
Keep the pics of progress coming, you can never get too many on this forum, as it's always an interest for other builders.
regards,
Tony

I second that!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 23 May 2012, 1:02 am

Dan

Great to see a new thread on the way, make sure you check out the DCC posts for the little hints and tips plus the odd fault that has been corrected.

What is it, Showman's or Road Loco Twisted Evil

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Dan's 4" Burrell Empty Early Tender construction photos

Post  Dan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:29 am

I wanted to wait until I had the fittings before starting on the tender. I shouldn't have - it is taking ages to get it all together! Mind you I only get the odd hour or two in the evenings to play in the workshop.

Full view from a couple of nights ago

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4122

Nice fit STW - well done!

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4124

Not that you can see it here but the other side didn't fit quite so perfectly but I think I have it as close as I want it...

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4125

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4132

The first finished edge:

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4133

And finally, whilst it is raining, the rear wheel sits all alone on the floor waiting for a couple more coats of paint. Note taht with the rear wheels I am painting the hub mount this time!

Dan's 4" Burrell IMG_4135

The tender sides, back, front and bottom are nearly all together, I'm just taking my time!

Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

Cor!! That takes me back!! Nice pictures of shiny bare metal.......... & sore fingers!! Bet you can't wait to started on the belly tank!!! lol!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

Oops! Just realised you probably won't have the pleasure of a belly tank as your doing an Ag engine!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

Wonder what type of masking tape that is on the nice new rubber. Has it been on for more than a couple of days....

Been there!
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm

Tony King wrote:Oops! Just realised you probably won't have the pleasure of a belly tank as your doing an Ag engine!!

That's right it's the SC agricultural engine Smile

lynnr wrote:Wonder what type of masking tape that is on the nice new rubber. Has it been on for more than a couple of days...

Heh heh - yeah it's been on since Tuesday... but not ALL over, there is paper under the main part to stop it sticking to the tyre. The adhesion is only on the side walls. I've mixed up the tape as well so I can see which is easier to remove. Mind you I did that last time as well and forgot to check when taking it all off!
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 21 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

Hi Dan

Any progress?
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Dan's 4" Burrell Empty For Sale

Post  Dan Fri 10 Apr 2015, 3:28 pm

Hi Folks,

My build is now up for sale, unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I no longer have the room to continue with it Sad

I've put some photos together here:

https://s301.photobucket.com/user/bobobroc/library/4%20inch%20Burrell%20Build

As you can see, wheels are painted, so too are the hornplates and the tender is waiting for final coat. I've included pictures of plated hubs and rollers. There is obviously still a lot to be done! Most boxes are unopened and 'as-delivered' up to and including kit 20.

I'm selling the build with trailer (frame/wheels complete), paint, nickel plating kit, blackening kit and lots of other bits and bobs to help with the build. I can even throw in an air compressor and tools if anyone is interested. The rear wheels were vulcanised and the tender is isofixed.

The boiler can even come with the pallet it was delivered on!

Let me know if you are interested.  Oh, and I'm selling a 3" Burrell and trailer as well, but that's not a STW one ;-)

Dan
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  poachermas Sat 02 May 2015, 12:18 am

HI Dan, is this engine still for sale,thanks Marek

poachermas

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-03-22

Back to top Go down

Dan's 4" Burrell Empty UPDATE

Post  Dan Tue 16 Jun 2015, 10:27 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all your messages and sorry I couldn't get back to you all but I've been away. The engines in the for sale section are now no longer available.

All the best and good luck with your builds,

Dan
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down