Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lining Dimensions SRL(S)

2 posters

Go down

Lining Dimensions SRL(S) Empty Lining Dimensions SRL(S)

Post  Tim Watson Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

Below are the dimensions of lining given to me by Richard Wilcox, Chairman of the Road Loco Society and in charge of livery information. They apply to crimson lake coloured engines, but would be applicable to many other base colour schemes. I have indicated the colour scheme for yellow wheels (taken from examining well presented engines at GDSF: Philadelphia & William V). With a red or crimson lake wheel the green lining would be substituted by black and the thin red line would be yellow or bone white. Obviously there are exceptions to all the 'rules' and many engines are lined out in different proportions and colours: some are perhaps over-lined! However, I thought it might be useful for people to see the actual dimensions of the lining, especially when gold leaf is added to the equation.

I have found that these sizes are only indicative: you have to squeeze them sometimes around objects such as the tool box, water filling pocket and hose bracket. I think it is generally better to err towards making the lining smaller rather than bigger.

SRL(S) livery details
Real dimensions in inches, model dimensions in brackets.

Lining boiler/ belly tank
Black 1” (7.6 mm)
Gold leaf ¾” (6.4 mm)
Black 3/8” (3.2 mm)
Red 3/8” (3.2 mm)
Lake 1” (7.6 mm)
Lemon chrome yellow 3/32” (0.8 mm)

Tender
Gold leaf 1” (7.6 mm), centered 4” (34 mm) from the inside of the beading: across opening, not around.
Black 3/8” (3.2 mm) either side etc.
Coal bunker
Across top and down front each side.

Wheels (Yellow)
Gold leaf ¾” (6.4 mm) (or may be bigger on back wheels)
Green 5/32” (1.5 mm)
Gap
Red 3/32” (0.8 mm)
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Lining Dimensions SRL(S) Empty Wheel Lining

Post  eng14110 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 7:58 pm

Hi Tim,
Thanks for posting the lining sizes.I am looking at getting my wheels lined over the Christmas period but I am unsure on what shade of green to use.Whould you happen to know what shade I should be looking at ??

Thanks in advance

Colin
eng14110
eng14110

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Lining Dimensions SRL(S) Empty Re: Lining Dimensions SRL(S)

Post  Tim Watson Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:34 am

Colin:
Dark green: it almost looks black in photos. I have bought Craftmaster sign writing dark green, but haven't used it yet.
Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Lining Dimensions SRL(S) Empty Re: Lining Dimensions SRL(S)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down