Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tone's Showmans second lot!

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty Re: Tone's Showmans second lot!

Post  Kevster on Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:46 pm

They look like the MJ Engineering ones,I have a pair of fronts and a rear one for my road loco, very nicely detailed and look great on the engine.
As said before its your engine and you can do whatever you want with it afterall I do believe in full size you could have any colour and lining detail that you wanted, if you parted with the cash then it could be done.

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Pennett on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 12:50 am

Tony,

Looking at the photos of the Gear Guard and Gear Selector Casting in the Production Guide, it looks like you are safe to varnish your lining! The Gear Guard stops short of vanishing under the selector so you won’t have the same problem as I did with the lining.

Ref the lamps, I have tried to persuade MJ Engineering to modify their Agricultural Lamps to the Square version used on Road Loco’s; however, they don’t seem interested which is a great pity hence why I am ‘basterdising’ some of their agricultural lamps in order to make a pair of square ones.

For those making the Showman’s you may like a pair of “King of the Road Lamps” to add to the things to polish! These are not cheap, but are very nice….

http://rabarker.sharepoint.com/Pages/TractionEngineLamps.aspx

Ron produced these in batches, but since he has retired I’m not sure how the current system works, but I’m sure if a few of you got together it would generate (pardon the pun) an order.

Looking nice,

Tim
Tim Pennett
Tim Pennett

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty 4" siren!!

Post  Tony King on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Hi All,
I wondered if anyone out there has a 4" scale siren with 1/4" BSP thread for sale or knows where I can get one. I have contacted R. A. Barker Engineering & they do produce such a thing, but haven't got any made at the moment. However if a few more of you lovely people out there were wanting to fill that untidy 1/4" BSP hole in your cylinder block with a suitable noisy shiney device, then they might be persuaded to make up a small batch for us. I looked at their web site & it looks like they want about £189.00 which I thought was quite alot, but when I spoke to Steve at STW, he said they are right fiddly things to make & that price seemed reasonable!
So the question is, "is anyone else interested in fitting a siren?" If there's enough responce I'll contact RA Barker & see if something can be arranged.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty Siren

Post  chop on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:17 pm

Polly model engineering list them. Hope this helps

chop
chop

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty Siren

Post  chop on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:24 pm

Sorry tony they don't list them it is chime whistles they sell.
chop
chop

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

Tony King wrote: "is anyone else interested in fitting a siren?"

I am. Wasn't going to order one for a year or two but if they want to make a batch then I might as well be included.
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

Regarding the chime whistles Polly Engineering sell ,which one would be correct scale for the 4" dcc,the smaller 4" high 3 chime one or the larger 6" high 4 chime?

I am thinking the smaller one ,what do you guys think?

Thanks

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

Kevster wrote:Regarding the chime whistles Polly Engineering sell ,which one would be correct scale for the 4" dcc,the smaller 4" high 3 chime one or the larger 6" high 4 chime?

I am thinking the smaller one ,what do you guys think?

Thanks

Kev

As long as you use it at relatively low pressure you'll be fine.
at full working pressure it will be a real shrieker..

i have an over size chime from an american shunting engine so quite small as far as chimes go..
it's about 10" in total height so around 8" of bell. i have tested this at 100psi and it's very loud.. go over 130psi and it is deafening and sounds to sharp to the ear.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:01 pm

There is a similar thread in https://traction.forumotion.com/t1269-where-can-i-get-a-good-quality-siren at the moment which may help.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1058
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Sun 24 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

Hi All,
As I said in another post I've been running the engine on compressed air!! So I put some oil in all the relavent oil cups, Has anyone tried to fill the pot beside the drive to the guvenor?? Well I can't get my fingers round the top, so I've soldered a brass nut onto the lid to allow for easy removal & refitting:-

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te163

This is the connection for the air line:-

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te260

General view of the "running gear":-

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te348

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:07 pm

Hi All,
Been away for a couple of weeks, so I'm now in catch up mode!! Some of you DCC people are really doing well getting your engines into steam. Looks like there's a few issues with leaks & broken sight glasses (I know how that feels having just broken mine!!) & generally sorting mechanical stuff... WELL DONE.... It's great to hear all your stories as it greatly helps us following behind Very Happy

OK, time for more pics of my build from kit 24:-

Trial fitting parts for pump:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te165

Then doing my usual finishing & polishing:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te262

Bit nervous about spending alot of time on the pump body, as is seems to be a poor batch of "porus" castings which are tending to leak judging by comments on the forum, anyway decided to take a chance:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te350
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te440

Had fun bending the pipe to the clack valve, probably not routed as designed, but it don't touch anything on route:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te532
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te628

The suction pipe was a bit too long because the fitting at one end wasn't fully home when silver soldered, plus all the joints leaked, so I've run them with plumbers solder which should be OK as they don't get too hot:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te722

On with primer:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te818

On with top coat:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te916

I've decided to modify the water lifter connection & put a 90deg elbow "init" so the hose looks more "natural" on the belly tank bracket:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1017
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1112
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1211
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1311
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1410
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1510
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1610

Drain pipes, one of which, sadly, is too short & there appears to be a 2nd brass bracket missing to hold the pipe ends to the cleading:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1710
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te1810

OK that's the pictures for now, just got to go bolt the pump in place which looks "fiddly" to say the least Smile
I'll post pics of "cock pit" when done.

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

I like the idea of the right angle on the lifter hose, I take it you cut both sides off and soldered the bit in the middle??

Can't wait to see the pictures after about steaming number 4 testing the various fittings and so on. Don't cheat and clean it first Very Happy Very Happy Those lovely copper pipes and the brass fittings will discolour before your eyes What a Face but all credit to you if you do keep it clean, thats a bit more than a labour of love for me.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickster on Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:14 pm

Looks fantastic Tony! I like that lifter hose mod too - as the lifter is so easy, I think I will do something similar.

Make sure you take plenty of pictures of your build, it will only look as stunning as this before you light a fire in her.

Unless of course you take her apart after every steaming!

Steve is sending me out a replacement pump. I'll steam a few times before painting it this time as it took 3 goes before pin holes began to appear. If they do I'm going to try and silver solder it up and see what happens from there.

I think my approach has changed slightly now I'm in steam - fitting parts, making sure they work in steam then clean them before painting. A bit late now I know as we are on the last two kits, but after talking to Highpressure the gear change mechanism could be a little fiddly. (Like fitting the water pump drive with the crank in place - now that's fun!).

Cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:45 pm

Hi Tony

Looking very good. I have posted the snag list photos to my thread. Just so everyone can have a laugh.

Really like the water lifter hose connection. Looks much better. Will have to look at doing that to mine.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3165
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty Water pump body

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 8:08 am

Hi All,
I've just been assembling the pump ready to fit to the engine & having fitted the non return SS balls & "seated" them, I'm blowing through the main pump casting to check they are sealing & found the output "gallery" to the clack valve was blocked.............. It hadn't been drilled through to the "bypass passage" Shocked Easily fixed, but if you don't check, it could cause problems which Kev & others are having with leaks (possibly?) or worse, stripped nylon drive gear.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

Hi All,
As promised MORE PICS!!

The pump is now all ready to go! Was a bit of a fiddle doing up the bolts on the eccentric but no real problems. However I notice my pump needed spacing off the horn plate by 2mm to allow it to sit in its most "natural position", so accordingly made up two card gaskets as shown in this out of focus pic:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te512

Next 4 pics of cockpit, what a lovely sight......... for how long!!:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te110

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te210

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te310

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te410

Last, the cylinder drain rod:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te610

Now the wait for the fly wheel kit......... Can't wait bounce

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

The missing pic:-
Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te534
Tony

Last edited by Tony King on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

Ah not got spot focus on and your camera has focused on the man stand duck boards. Very Happy
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3165
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Empty Nice job

Post  Steve Traill on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 4:20 pm

Your cockpit is looking truly stunning, although I believe the correct term is the 'manstand' but that does sound a bit strange somehow. The smoke from lighting a fire will stain the spectacle plate somewhat but a nicely used pattena can enhance the look of it I think. I definately don't like the working clothes (lagged in sh*t) excuse that some engine owners use and the straight out the box look is too much hard work so somewhere in the middle I strive for.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

Yeah last night the wind blew loads of smoke out of the back of the fire box as the door is not an airtight seal, this is the current condition but I will try and aim for slightly cleaner ( if I can be arsed Shocked ) Although it's not that bad and I will paint the pump when I know its water tight and also polish the pipes.

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Img_0213

The rest of it is very poor now though....

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Img_0214

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Img_0215

To be fair it was 9.50 when we got home so it just went straight on the drive....

I know I keep banging on about but please take a few shots after the first couple of steamings ( without cleaning ) just to put the rest of us at peace, or give us a bar the aim for. Smile
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

Hi Kev,
Love the pics, I actually think the engine looks great with all the crud on it, makes it look "real". Although I'm doing the "showmans bit" on mine, I have no illusions as to the way it's going to go!! Sad
Could be a whilie before I'm at your stage though, as I'm going to have to take most of it to bits, cos I've got leaks everywhere.
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm

Having spent the last six years keeping an agricultural engine (Madeline) reasonably clean, I am not going to have any more bits to polish on Frederick than absolutely necessary.

In fact, if you look at the Showman's engines you often find that the 'showy' bits are very brassy, such as the canopy supports (olivers), stars, hand wheels etc., but the pipe work on the manstand and many fittings and pieces out of sight are painted. My philosophy tends to be that if you can't keep it clean easily, then pant it black: e.g. manstand fittings, bearings, motion support brackets, oil boxes.

Useful to have steam apprentices on hand with small hands, because my size 71/2" mits don't fit in awkward areas. A few more years before my grandson comes on-line....

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 582
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

Hi Tony,

Just looking into the mod to the lifter hose, got the fitting and it looks like you just filed? the thread off and then polished? Is it then silver soldered and did you turn down the STW part to fit in the elbow or just solder it in? A few more details would help out no end.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 7:18 am

Hi Kev,
Only just noticed your question re water lifter mod, sorry.
I had to turn a bit off the hose connector shaft & simply filed the threads off the standard 15mm compression elbow. I soft soldered the bits together as it ain't going to get hot & there is no pressure to worry about. The tricky bit is soldering the bits into the elbow without soldering the nut up too!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

Hi All,
Progress has been slow of late, I seem to have gone from one problem to another, anyway here's a picture of one. After four days work on the flywheel, I had trouble with the top coat, something (I guess) must have contaminated the last u/coat surface, because I had lots of little "dots" appearing in the top coat after a few minutes (fish eyes I think some people call them). I then washed off the paint with turps, allowed to dry, re u/coated, wet & dried & re applied top coat two days later. SAME AGAIN!! F--K !!
So decided, reluctantly, to start again:-

Tone's Showmans second lot! - Page 10 Te113

The sad sight of stripper doing its work Sad

Regards,
Tony.............. NOT Happy!!

Tony King

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum