Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN

3 posters

Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN

Post  gulfstream Thu 19 Jun 2008, 8:34 am

I started to build a Modelworks Foden at the end of August 2007 and have received all the kits up to kit 18 and also kits 23 and 24. The only parts that I did not receive were the cylinder block and the crankshaft before MW went down.

Hopefully, in the near future, with the help of STW I will receive the missing parts which will enable me to complete all of the motion, valve gear etc and then move onto the remaining kits to achieve a fully working Foden model. In the meantime I am hoping to construct a cab roof so at least the model looks more like a Foden albeit without the cylinder, and crankshaft etc.

I have already taken my partly completed Foden to the Belvoir Steam and Stapleford Park Steam events where I receive lots of invaluable help and advice.

gulfstream

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN

Post  KC Thu 19 Jun 2008, 11:41 am

Gulfstream, Do you know from your conversations with Steve if the possibility of getting your Foden steaming by the Bedford Rally would apply to all Foden builders based on WIP that was at Modelworks when it went under or just a few customers who are likely to get there Foden on the rally fields this summer to try and restore market confidence in the product?

I am not so sure I want to enter into a month by month contract with these guys because once bitten twice shy, but a lump sum purchase of complete assemblies would be appealing but it would only be possible on a short timescale. Generally I have been happy with the engineering from Modelworks if they can get the planning and admin side right I am sure STW will do OK provided they can restore confidence. What STW does not need is a lot of disgruntled customers walking round the rally field complaining that the price has gone up too much and the deliveries are still unreliable.

Last edited by KC on Fri 20 Jun 2008, 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

KC

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty Fodens will be in steam by ????

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:28 pm

Hi all, I just want to manage peoples expectations abit. Yes, I did say to Gulfstream that there is a possibility of having engines steamable by September. But please remember that at the moment we do not have a trading business, we have no machines, no premices, no staff, no materials and no stock! In fact, all we have at the moment is an 'under construction' web site, a great deal of hope and ambition and fairly hefty bank overdrafts. Before Stapelford, discussions with the Administarators and the ex MW Chairmen were going well. We even had hopes that we could start 'cutting metal' at the beginning of July. This weeks progress has not been anywhere near as good and a July start looks ambitious. Things are very volatile at the moment. We're due to meet again on Monday and who knows, hopefully thing will take a turn for the better.

It is true to say that the Foden will have a high priority for us, because it's so close to completion for many customers. All I can promise is that we will do our very best to get all models completed as soon as we can.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty FODEN COMPLETION

Post  gulfstream Fri 20 Jun 2008, 9:34 am

The completion of a Foden by September is probably very ambitious but I am sure if everyone exercises some very positive thinking then Steve and Dean will at least have the encouragement to push on with their difficult negotiations and hopefully in the not too distant future everyone will benefit. Perhaps then we can all look back and thank for them their efforts in helping all of us to complete our models and to enable us to continue with a very enjoyable hobby. In my case it is my very first live steam model and I can't wait to get it steamed.

gulfstream

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty FODEN COMPLETION

Post  KC Fri 20 Jun 2008, 12:20 pm

No doubts if STW or Another could start 'cutting metal' in the next couple of weeks then the kits could be out by the end of September. It is only some motion work, gears and steam fittings left to complete if you are on time. Unfortunatly like all things in engineering these days it is the bean counting and paperwork that takes 10 times longer than actually making the product.

I am still missing a few of the other kits, boiler and block etc. so if Modelworks didn't have the boilers and cylinder blocks on order then getting items like that will take a few months plus some machining time. Either way hopefully the rally fields will be full of Fodens next year.

KC

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty LETTER TO ALL FODEN OWNERS

Post  gulfstream Wed 10 Sep 2008, 7:42 am

On the 4th September Steve stated that letters would be sent to all Foden owners on the 5th September to advise the price structure and completion schedule. To date I have not received a letter, is there still a problem, lets hope not. It would seem that Foden owners are at the back of the queue to receive information and parts to complete the project which is beginning to be extremely frustrating.

gulfstream

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty Re: MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 10 Sep 2008, 8:41 am

Hi Gulfstream,

Letters are being sent out to ALL our customers (including the Foden) either today or tomorrow. Now we are manufacturing there is a problem with the number of hours in a day (there's not enough!) and my mother has offered to come in again today to help put letters in envelopes and take them to the post office to ensure they go out (Thanks mum Very Happy )

Please remeber we are not MW's and do not have 25 staff, only 3 plus Steve and I. We are a new company and officially only took over only 4 weeks ago. As well as writing letters we are still putting systems in place, sorting out VAT registrations, PAYE, utilities, suppliers, manufacturing parts, attending the shows and updating additional things like the forum.

The Foden is a priority and you are certainly not at the back of the queue, the letter you will receive will explain this much better, it will also give you payment options and a breakdown and cost of every single part left to manufacture on the Foden (another thing that had to be done to ensure we could be a viable company was to cost every single item of every model!) In the meantime while we are waiting for items like the Foden gears to be delivered we are manufacturing some of our other products plus Foden cranks etc. Considering the amount of money involved in purchasing the business assets, machinery and putting together a working capital we can not just sit around waiting for Foden items and material to arrive. The business must be self sufficient.

I appreciate this might seem frustrating for you but I'm sure waiting a week for a letter is not half as frustrating as having a 3/4 finished model and no means of completion.

Regards

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty FODEN

Post  gulfstream Wed 10 Sep 2008, 2:29 pm

Dean

Thanks for the update. It's so much the frustration of waiting for your letter but more that since the end of May we have not been able to progress the project mechanically although I have manufactured and fitted the sides and back of the load platform and have the wagon all painted and ready for the Bedford show. If you want another Foden on your stand you only have to ask as I do have a tow bar for it so it can be moved.

The frustrating thing is that despite a number of promises made by Steve for early supply of crankshaft and cylinder block you have suffered a number of problems particulary with the second batch of castings from the foundry being scrapped. I can sympathise with you both for all these problems which I know you are hoping to overcome in the next few weeks.

As I have already said I will be at the Bedford show so hopefully I will have a chance to have a chat with one or both of you.

gulfstream

Back to top Go down

MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN Empty Re: MODELWORKS 4.5 INCH FODEN

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down