Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which paint to use where?

Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Which paint to use where?

Post  John Yates on Sat 06 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

I am about to embark on my 4" Burrell build, at long last and I wish to paint as I build (Dean's least painful option), trouble is I don't know which is the best paint (or preparation) for each job, especially the hot parts, so some advise would be much appreciated.

So, for the smoke box, boiler/firebox, chimney, well anything that get's really hot, over to you guys.

John Yates

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Welcome

Post  lynnr on Sat 06 Nov 2010, 11:19 am

John Yates wrote:I am about to embark on my 4" Burrell build, at long last and I wish to paint as I build (Dean's least painful option), trouble is I don't know which is the best paint (or preparation) for each job, especially the hot parts, so some advise would be much appreciated.

So, for the smoke box, boiler/firebox, chimney, well anything that get's really hot, over to you guys.

Hi John and welcome to the world of STW builders.
There is lost posted across each thread. I am building the 4" Showman and I have a thread running in the 4"DCC section.
I have commented on what paint I have used and others also in the same area.

For the smokebox I used Plasti-kot Woodstove satin black. Baked in the oven at 200decC and because of a small problem had to subject the area with a gas torch and the paint stayed good.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3145
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Re: Which paint to use where?

Post  sonick45 on Sat 06 Nov 2010, 5:27 pm

I am using halfords engine paint. Good to 500c and comes in matt, satin and gloss. I used satin for the smoke Box and Matt for the hornplates. I plan to use up both tins to Seal the boiler. It does not
Require stoving and air dries before been baked when eventually the engine is steamed. It's around £5 a tin.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 3:48 am

Hi guys {Yes it is 3;48 Am}

I have just got in from my shead Exclamation ooppss

Ok I am only a 2" but if this helps I used Reeves Smokebox paint it comes in a tin and is best
spreayed .it is a matt as well......But the only thing is do the 4" engines gte hotter ??

Good luck and do say how you get on
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum