Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which paint to use where?

4 posters

Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Which paint to use where?

Post  John Yates Sat 06 Nov 2010, 11:10 am

I am about to embark on my 4" Burrell build, at long last and I wish to paint as I build (Dean's least painful option), trouble is I don't know which is the best paint (or preparation) for each job, especially the hot parts, so some advise would be much appreciated.

So, for the smoke box, boiler/firebox, chimney, well anything that get's really hot, over to you guys.

John Yates

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Welcome

Post  lynnr Sat 06 Nov 2010, 11:19 am

John Yates wrote:I am about to embark on my 4" Burrell build, at long last and I wish to paint as I build (Dean's least painful option), trouble is I don't know which is the best paint (or preparation) for each job, especially the hot parts, so some advise would be much appreciated.

So, for the smoke box, boiler/firebox, chimney, well anything that get's really hot, over to you guys.

Hi John and welcome to the world of STW builders.
There is lost posted across each thread. I am building the 4" Showman and I have a thread running in the 4"DCC section.
I have commented on what paint I have used and others also in the same area.

For the smokebox I used Plasti-kot Woodstove satin black. Baked in the oven at 200decC and because of a small problem had to subject the area with a gas torch and the paint stayed good.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Which paint to use where? Empty Re: Which paint to use where?

Post  sonick45 Sat 06 Nov 2010, 5:27 pm

I am using halfords engine paint. Good to 500c and comes in matt, satin and gloss. I used satin for the smoke Box and Matt for the hornplates. I plan to use up both tins to Seal the boiler. It does not
Require stoving and air dries before been baked when eventually the engine is steamed. It's around £5 a tin.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 07 Nov 2010, 3:48 am

Hi guys {Yes it is 3;48 Am}

I have just got in from my shead Exclamation ooppss

Ok I am only a 2" but if this helps I used Reeves Smokebox paint it comes in a tin and is best
spreayed .it is a matt as well......But the only thing is do the 4" engines gte hotter ??

Good luck and do say how you get on
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down