Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco

+9
TomRushton91
ALZ MINI
hughb
craig@STW
highpressure
Vapor
Julia
zzr prid
Steam Traction World
13 posters

Go down

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco Empty 2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco

Post  Steam Traction World Thu 03 Jun 2010, 4:52 pm

Hi All,

Just so everyone on the forum is the first to know, we have decided (orders dependant!) to release a 2" version of the Showman's / Road Loco Engine with production commencing Autumn this year (2010).

Pricing has not yet been finalised but we anticipate it to be a similar monthly price to the current 2" Agricultural Engine just over a longer time scale. (just as we currently do for the 4" version). With this in mind a rough guide would be a deposit of £329 and 30 kits on the Road Loco at £295 each (Total £9179) and 33 kits at £295 each on the Showman's (£10064). As normal we would look to offer an incentive to customers placing deposits early. This would reduce the deposits to £199 and bring the total prices down to £9049 for the Road Loco and £9934 for the Showman's engine.

Further information will follow. (Don't be shy in registering your interest though if it appeals.)

All the best

Dean & Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco Empty Re: 2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco

Post  zzr prid Mon 07 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

Cool Very Happy

I would love one , but I have about a year and four months to go with my current build so dont know if I could afford one yet. Sad

How many are you looking to make ?

Very Happy Very Happy Sad Very Happy

zzr prid

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco Empty Re: 2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 08 Jun 2010, 9:35 am

Hi All,

Further information about the new 2" engine as follows:

2" DCC Showman's Engine:

Based on 'Ex Mayor'
Length: 45.5" (1130mm)
Width: 16.5" (417mm)
Height: 24" (609mm)

2" DCC Road Loco:

Based on 'The President'
Length: 39.25" (998mm)
Width: 16.5" (417mm)
Height: 24" (609mm)

High Pressure Bore: 28mm
Low Pressure Bore: 46mm
Stroke: 50mm
Boiler Material: Copper
Boiler Diameter: 5"
Working Pressure: 120 psi
Rotating Governor
Single Drive

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Tue 08 Jun 2010, 10:23 am

Being a bit thick ... what does single drive mean?
eg. No diff or single speed etc
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 08 Jun 2010, 1:24 pm

Hi Julia,

The majority of Burrells are Double Drive. This basically means that the final drive is duplicated on both sides of the engine, with the differential on the second shaft.

Single Drive is therefore where the drive is on the left hand side only and the differential is then on the back axle. The benefit of the Burrell's design for the single drive was that while under suspension it maintained far better tooth engagement.

I have attached a cross section of Ex Mayor (which was also used on The President) which we will be basing our engines on. The main difference will be that ours will not be sprung as there will be minimal benefit. It will still look cosmetically like it's under suspension though as the second shaft casting will be a minature version of the original.

Dean (with a little help from Steve! lol)

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco Single10

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 08 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

Well I knew that Dean Cool
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 08 Jun 2010, 5:16 pm

Thanks Dean that picture makes it as clear as mud for me..... Very Happy Very Happy Question Question lol!
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Tue 08 Jun 2010, 6:00 pm

highpressure wrote:Thanks Dean that picture makes it as clear as mud for me..... Very Happy Very Happy Question Question lol!

ha ha, was just thinking the same thing lol! lol!
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Tue 08 Jun 2010, 6:21 pm

Can't be that thick then since I understand the picture. Didn't realise Burrell's used that system - it is the best. Building all that in 2" scale is going to be watch making but will be top notch.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 10 Jun 2010, 8:24 pm

Hi guys

ON the road loco will the flywheel be spoked or not ?? Question
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  ALZ MINI Wed 16 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm

Just catching up with the forum today and seen this post Very Happy

As I'm looking for a 2" copper boiler project to start late 2010 this would be perfect.
2" Showmans engine for me sounds good bounce

Alan
ALZ MINI
ALZ MINI

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 16 Jun 2010, 3:01 pm

Hugh,

Currently it is undecided whether it will be spoked on the inside. It will definately be a solid flywheel i can tell you that.

If enough orders are placed and enough of those people ordering want spokes then i'm sure we can make it happen.

Alan, I'll look forward to receiving your deposit in due course while it's still on special offer Very Happy

Cheers

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ALZ MINI Fri 18 Jun 2010, 9:43 pm

Defently after this model, will see the other half over the weekend and drop the subject in when we are at our local steam show with the Minnie traction engine. far better leter her know now rather than when I go missing in the workshop every winters night.

Will put the order in later in the week.

Have you had a lot of orders or interest so far?
ALZ MINI
ALZ MINI

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  TomRushton91 Fri 13 Aug 2010, 6:48 pm

I really like the 2" DCC Road Loco. I think it's the first engine I'm gonna get, in kit form, as soon as I've got the loot. =D Which probably won't be for another year or two, until I've got a job at least. =(

This is the first post I've ever posted on here, so yeah, please make me feel welcome. =)

Tom
TomRushton91
TomRushton91

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

2" Burrell Showman's Engine / Road Loco Empty 2" Burrell Showman's Engine

Post  mindlever Mon 04 Oct 2010, 6:42 pm

I'd like to register my interest in fact I'd like to buy one NOW before the VAT goes up next year. It's just the kit I've been looking for as I don't have the space (unfortunately) for anything larger - much as I'd love a 4" engine.

mindlever

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  gall335i Sat 05 Apr 2014, 12:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Did this model go into production? Just there's no pricing on the website, but listed on the products page!

If so what are prices for the kits?

Just wish I could afford a 4" one but to much a month!

Thanks

Andrew.

gall335i

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  A. Karnes Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

Hey folks, did this engine ever go into production?   I have always wanted to do up a live steam Showman's and 2" scale would be perfect for me.  Please do get back soon, I am seriously considering buying.

Regards-

Alex

Last edited by A. Karnes on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

A. Karnes

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm

Hi Andrew,

As far as I know the Showman's Engine is only available at the 4" scale. The only 2" scale engine available is the agricultural engine!! & it's a beauty!!

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down