Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Bits awaited

+5
LilyJack
Julia
hughb
Steve Traill
Big Al
9 posters

Go down

Final Bits awaited Empty Final Bits awaited

Post  Big Al Thu 31 Dec 2009, 8:55 am

I've fitted all the bits supplied and just want to check that the following are still outstanding and that I haven't lost them somewhere along the line, I think they are

1. Steering chain
2. Water Lifter hose pipe (Both mentioned in Kit23)
3. 1 x brass pipe clamp top (only 3 came together)
4. 3 x levers, 2 for the clack valves and 1 for the water pump
5. 2 x spring steel yokes to retain the gear selectors - BU22206
6. 1 x spring steel band for the brake bands. BU21809

Can anyone else confirm or otherwise this list

Also does STW provide any 'bottle' to help us newbies fire the boiler up for the first time. affraid I had some but mines gone now !! especially when I kept reading in bold letters in the instructions about having someone with you who knows what they are doing. I got all the bits ready, coal, kindling etc but no bottle. might have to take it to STW towers for the first steam

Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Final Bits awaited Empty Bottle, do you need it?!

Post  Steve Traill Thu 31 Dec 2009, 11:46 am

Hi Big Al
I know what you are going through as I was the same the first time. First I would check all the motion work runs nicely on compressed air, you can check for leaks as well with some soapy water. Don't worry about really small bubbles as when it is 'in steam' a lot of these leaks seem to dissappear. The heat expands everything which compressed air doesn't. When you are happy that it runs well on air then it's time to light a fire! For the first time I would suggest that you run it entirely on dry wood as this is a softer heat and lets everything warm up slowly. Also if there is a problem then wood burns through quicker and so goes out quicker if needed. I ran my engine in on ordinary engine oil to start with in case anything was tight I wanted some oil there. Just let it run in slowly for a while, I had mine running stationary for about 6 hours before I took it down the road and this got rid of some of the tightness in the motion work without doing any damage. It is better to have things a little slack than too tight at first while it's all bedding in. You always need to keep one eye on the water level as it has a habit of dissappearing the minute you look at something else! Check that you can pump water into the boiler, the easiest way to tell this is that the pressure wil drop before you see the water level go up so if there is a reasonable fire and you turn the pump on if the pressure gauge starts to drop you know it's working. Also check to see that you water gauge is showing a true reading by blowing it down.

When it's up to pressure see if the injector works, they all have ther funny little ways so thats up to you to find the best way, mine likes a slow start and when it starts to pick up the water I turn it full on, trial & error will see you through! Have a general look around and there will probably be a few weeps here and there, make a note of them to adjust when the engine is cold, I would never recomend tightening something when the engine is 'in steam' as it could shear. Also try the water lifter, these usually work first time every time with no fuss and I just turn it on full as quickly as I can. Ensure all the oil pots are kept topped up and also check that the oil level is going down! so the bearing is getting some lubrication. Later on when its run in you can use a thicker oil (EP90) so it lasts longer, but initially any multigrade oil will do. That's about it just enjoy the engine running and pat yourself on the back for having completed it.
Cheers
Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Final Bits awaited Empty Re: Final Bits awaited

Post  hughb Thu 31 Dec 2009, 12:21 pm

Hi guys
Thanks for the INFO as I am as you put it a newbie as well . Some of it is confusing to me and I go affraid
Thining like this "bottle" what is it for ???

I am haveing so much fun building I forget some of it
hughb

Just one thing I have thort of and that is at the bottom of the bolier there is four holes what happens to them???
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Thu 31 Dec 2009, 1:47 pm

The best advice is to join a club where you will find plenty prepared to help and advise. Firing the 2" Burrell will have more in common with a 5" loco that the larger traction engine models. My point here is that it does not matter if the clubs is train originated - it may even help! Best to get to know the club members before taking an engine. Also single out a club member to help/listen to as it is possible to suffer from too much advice.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 pm

I was under the impression that you had to be a member of a recognised club for your insurance etc which you obviously need before even thinking of firing the engine up? Probably wrong on that one then, won't be the first time, I remember way back in 1976, I said it'd rain on Wednesday and it didn't. Anyways, Maybe it's worth giving Steve a ring Mr Big Al'?? But as Julia has said, lot's of advice, even when well meant can lead to confusion and maybe problems so get ya backside to a club (IF YOU REMEMBER, I SPOKE WITH YOU ABOUT THE RUSHDEN ONE??!!) I've got Eddie coming around sometime soon I think with the family, I can give him the heads up if you wish, it's entirely up to you, also, this club also has a 2" owner which is damned handy.

Anyway, if you want, private message me with a contact number or something and I'll get the ball rolling regards to the club, up to you mate..

Either way, Happy New Year and I wish you a good years steaming...

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 31 Dec 2009, 5:27 pm

With regards to insurance you dont need it to fire the eingine in private, but you will need it to take it out in public i.e. to a rally or show where someone should check it. You will also need a boiler cert for someone like Walker Midgley to issue an NTET disc which is basically a tax disc equivalent to prove at a glance that the insurance and boiler cert are valid. You can get a cert from your local club which will probably nessitate joing them or get an independant inspector to your house to issue you with one. My local club want £5 for the boiler cert and a local independant wants £105!!!!!!! affraid you make your choice!!!!!!!!

My local club had no issues with the Maxitrak I had previously as it was a copper boiler and they regarded it as very similar to their loco boilers, however they are not so keen on the steel boiler on the 4" as it can corrode quicker than the copper one so they dont want to do it now. There is a local minature organisation near me who get a group session done all on the same day and split the cost of the independant inspector so that may be my option for this coming year. Alternatively I will enquire at Worthing Model Engineers who are familiar with my boiler maker and probably wont mind.

Good New Year to all and looking forward to seeing lots of you in the next summer. cheers drunken

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Sun 03 Jan 2010, 7:32 pm

Fired up the 2” today after a couple of swigs of Glenmorangie and much encouragement from mates.
Followed instructions given by Steve in the last kit and as mate read them out I carried out pre flight checks.
Got a good fire using a 240volt Computer CPU fan and at cardboard tube that photos came in from photobox. Used sawn down bits of 2 x 4 I used for extension and soaked them in paraffin for a few days plus anthracite coal which I hammered into smaller lumps to get in through firebox hole.
Soon found major problem in that whistle ball bearing was not sealing well and leaked like a sieve which, I think, prevented me getting any pressure registering on the gauge. Did manage to get it running for a few minutes on its own whilst I drank more Whiskey, but with concern over steam loss and trying to keep fire going. Despite about an hour spent getting the fire going I still couldn’t get any pressure on the gauge (worked fine on air so I know it works)
Didn’t play with injector because of leak and let fire die down before water level dropped off.
Another slight problem was water constantly dripping out of injector, think this is down to dodgy water valve not sealing properly but as it’s tender side not worried as yet.
The water level gauge was a bit confusing with air bubbles forming but I kept blowing it down but white sludge misted up the gauge a couple of times and wasn’t sure how low water had got.

Have since removed whistle and hammered ball into the hole to get a better seal which seems ok now when blowing in it so will retry in a couple of weeks.
Really good feeling when it ran on its own for the short time GREAT

Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sun 03 Jan 2010, 7:43 pm

Wow very nice looking engine Al a pitty about the whistle but hopfully the next steaming will be succesful Cool i look forward to seeing the write up of the next steaming, my 4" burrell and 4.5" foden is a matter of weeks away from that stage Very Happy

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 03 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

Great to see it working so well, what a very satisfying end to a long build!!! Have to say though that you must have an issue with the gauge or a blockage because having it tick over like that you must have had a good few pounds in it so it should have shown on the gauge. Also I had bubbles in my water glass when one of the sealing rings at either end wasnt sealing. This will give very erratic readings making it impossible to use. Check that both ferrules on the ends of the glass are as they should be, perhaps change the O rings?

Regards Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Mon 04 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

HI
NIce to see WELL DONE Very Happy Cool Shocked May be one day I will get there ..
Thanks for the vid
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 05 Jan 2010, 12:33 am

HI AL, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE WRONG SIZE ANTHRACITE, IF YOU GET 'BEANS' IT IS THE RIGHT SIZE FOR 2" SCALE. IT COMES IN PEAS/GRAINS, BEANS, SMALL NUTS, AND LARGE NUTS (STOP SNIGGERING LILYJACK !!). SAVES HAVING TO 'SIZE' IT. HOPE THAT HELPS.

WELL DONE WITH YOUR FIRST STEAMING.

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 05 Jan 2010, 7:18 am

Bungle

Cheers mate, thought I had the smallest anthracite they did but obviously not. It's not a great problem with a hammer if not a bit messy smashing the lumps up. I was working on the theory that Steve put up that the bigger the lumps the better. i must admit though it is a bugger to light.

Anyone else fired up their 2", surely I can't be the first?

Big Al (Yes, Xmas has taken its toll!)

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Tue 05 Jan 2010, 1:42 pm

<<<<sits sniggerin quietly in the corner drinkin southern comfort...
Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Tue 05 Jan 2010, 3:34 pm

Hi Big Al
Your'e not the first to fire your engine as I fired mine a few weeks ago,and have now fired and driven her around several times.
Just one question though,did your staem oil lubricator work OK as I seem to be having a problem with mine.It pumps oil into the block fine when the engine is cold,but when everything warms up the lubricator doesn't pump oil into the block.I've checked everything time and time again and all is OK.

Apart from that everything is all good and I'm now waiting to start building 2 wagons.I'm getting fed up with having to jog behind her as she chuffs around the roads where I live(private road and the nieghbours don't mind.In fact they think it great and all want a ride when the wagons are built)

cheer's Tony Cool
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 05 Jan 2010, 6:26 pm

Tony

When I ran on air I was getting the air blowing back past the valve and bubbling up in the steam oil box. I put it down to the 1000 EP oil being like sludge and so thick that it wouldn't allow the ball bearing to seal off in the valve. I thought that when this oil comes in contact with steam it would thin it sufficiently to allow the valve to work. This seems to have been the case as all was OK when I steamed her up. What I couldn't check was if the oil was still going in under greater pressure or when really hot as, due to leaking whistle, I couldn't get enough pressure up to test it properly. I'll make a note to watch it on next steam up

How did you manage to run her without steering chains or did you find alternative supply?

Get a video clip up on the site mate, lets all have a laugh watching you trying to catch it up Smile

Big Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Tue 05 Jan 2010, 6:56 pm

Big Al

I'll give Steve a ring tomorrow and chat about this lubrication problem I seem to be having
As for steering chains I went to my local Wickes and bought a meter of what looked right as a temporary measure.
And a video,well I will have to get a camera as the one I've got came of the Ark!!!

Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 06 Jan 2010, 5:51 pm

HI Al
I did a thred a while back on what kind of coal to use .Here is the web adress that was given.
http://www.the-coalman.co.uk/products.aspx?sca=3
Pluss Julia has given a lot of Info on this and I thort that we would just burn it in there .I hope this helps.
Hugh
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down