Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VIN NUMBER

4 posters

Go down

VIN NUMBER Empty VIN NUMBER

Post  busman Mon 07 Nov 2022, 5:51 pm

Reading through posts on this subject, DVLA require 17-digit number, so can anyone recommend what set will give the best impression I believe a 4 mm punch would be best option.

busman

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

VIN NUMBER Empty Re: VIN NUMBER

Post  Simon C Mon 07 Nov 2022, 8:45 pm

busman wrote:Reading through posts on this subject, DVLA require 17-digit number, so can anyone recommend what set will give the best impression I believe a 4 mm punch would be best option.

I have used 4mm stamps on my engine.
The first part of the VIN is DVLASWA followed by a 10 digit number so you will need both number and letter stamps.
The Vin once supplied to you by DVLA will need to be put on your engine in 2 places, I made a plate with the number on it and fixed that to the bunker divider using a couple of leftover M3 rivet bolts.
The second Number is supposed to be stamped on the engine itself, on the foundation ring is one place for it but very hard to achieve.
Another place for it is inside the smoke box on the door ring and as thats got no paint on it to spoil, so it won't ruin your day.
Hope that helps
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

VIN NUMBER Empty Vin number photos

Post  busman Wed 30 Nov 2022, 9:28 am

Can anyone post photos of where they have stamped their Vin numbers please.

busman

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 02 Dec 2022, 10:03 pm

I'd have a chat to the garage you'll need to take it to who will prove its what it is as I dont think the DVLA will be checking it.

I once had a similar thing with my Beach Buggy and the garage checking were happy with it stamped on a plate and pop riveted to the floor pan.

Its all a bit of a load of twaddle at the end of the day as you'll hardly be "ringing" a traction engine Laughing

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Sat 03 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm

Hi

A number have stamped a plate and put it on the inside of the bunker. With stamping on the inside edge of the smokebox or Hornplate. Best not stamp into any pressure holding steel.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down