Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News from Duesseldorf, Germany

Go down

News from Duesseldorf, Germany Empty News from Duesseldorf, Germany

Post  karl heinz marschner Tue 13 Sep 2022, 9:33 pm

You have not heard anything from me for quite a long time. But now I am ready to tell you about my experiences. I had already told you, that I am working on two projects. For my first project, a 2 inch Shand Mason I did a lot of air brushing, gold plating and nickel plating. After that I put together all parts I had finished up until now.

News from Duesseldorf, Germany Shandm10

It looks pretty finished but it isn't. The steam driven pump, some piping and the suction hoses are still missing.

As far as the 2 inch Burrel is concerned, I am still waiting for the kits no. 13-boiler and 14-cladding and ash-pan. Other than that I have successfully assembled the kits no.1 through 16A-Crank and Con-rod.

Kit No.1 - Front Wheels
See my postings from April 2021

Kit No.2 - Front Axle
I hadn't any problems with the parts for the front axle. After using some emery cloth the two front wheels turned smoothly without any clearance. I own a complete set of drawings for a 1,5 inch Alchin Royal Chester, where the front axle is equipped with a multiple leaf spring. I reasoned thoroughly, wether to add one to my Burrel. But there is not enough space for anything like that.
Only one change I made: I made hub caps out of brass.

Kit No.3 - Smoke Box
What a nice piece of equipment! It was real fun, to put the parts together. As recommended in the instructions I used the black Foliac Paste to seal the chimney-base to the smoke-box. Befor final assembly I will probably use the Foliac Paste to seal the lower part of the smoke-box-door-ring to the smoke-box-tube and the perch-bracket to the smoke-box-tube as well. Or is there any reason not to do that?
The door hinge was somewhat too wide, it interfered with the large name-ring, so I had to file quite a bit of material away.
Finally I found a problem: When I tried to lock the door with the draw-bolt I accidently pushed the draw-bar into the smoke-box. I realized that this would happen again and again. So I decided to make two pieces of 2mm-steel-sheet to secure the draw-bar from falling out.

News from Duesseldorf, Germany Burrel18

In the next days you will hear again from me and I will tell you about my adventure with the rear wheels.

Last edited by karl heinz marschner on Tue 13 Sep 2022, 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong photo)
karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Back to top Go down