Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof finish

3 posters

Go down

Roof finish  Empty Roof finish

Post  Tony.steamwagon Sat 11 Dec 2021, 9:23 am

Morning all, just getting to finish the roof all timber completed and about to fit the calico roof and my question is what is the best finish to apply when fitted. Painted, waterproofing like a tent or mastic ???
Any guidance would be great and hopping to see some of you out and about next season

Tony.steamwagon

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Roof finish  Empty Re: Roof finish

Post  elwood-59 Sat 11 Dec 2021, 11:28 am

Hi Tony,

When building the roof of Pied Piper, I followed the idea of Lynn. I went to a local ship/yacht supplier and bought a set of epoxy resin (West System). With the kit I also bought with two hand pumps to be fitted to hardener and exoxy can to get the correct mixture ration. Works like a charm!

I then put the assembled roof, sanded down and clean, outside (smell and fumes) on a old piece of wood board and put the calico on top of it, poured the epoxy, mixed per instructions, on top of the calico, and spread it with s squeege and small paint rollers all over the roof. It was easy to see where the epoxy had saturated the cloth as it became semi transparent.

I cut the corners and folded the excessive material over the edge and thus covered the underside of the roof panels up to the frame. I cut the rest of the material so it was just covering the underside of the roof boards. In hindsight I might have been better off to cut off the wet calico right at the edge of the roof, a lot less messy and much easier.

After the first layer had almost hardened (check instructions of epoxy) I added a second (thin) layer, followed by two more a few days later after a quick rub down with a sander.

Same I did then a week later on the inside with the roof inverted, this time only with epoxy no calico, 2 and 2 layers, as above.

Paint as required or preferred, using a paint that can be used over epoxy, I was told not all of them work on expoxy.

I am much satisfied with the result, solid and hard surface - if you work carefully no runs or rough spots, the epoxy tends to flatten out quite nicely.

Arriving at that point I mounted the roof onto Pied Piper and found it hard, if not impossible to reach the controls and drive. In the end I decided to leave off the roof for the time being, stored it safely and enjoy driving without it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 11 Dec 2021, 2:42 pm

Hi

Yes I did the epoxy method on Crystal's full roof. I also got a tin of "Elephant Grey" colour additive for the resin. So even if my roof got a scratch it was coloured the complete way through. Went smooth and very hard wearing. I stood on the roof many a times and of course covered it in smuts, oil and soot.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Roof finish  Empty Roof finish

Post  Tony.steamwagon Sat 11 Dec 2021, 9:48 pm

Many thanks for the info, can you remember how much it would take for a road loco. The kits seam to be 1.3kg

Tony

Tony.steamwagon

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 11 Dec 2021, 10:52 pm

Hi Tony

for my Road Loco roof I used about 1 quart of 105 epoxy and appropriate amount 207 hardener - 207 hardener being suggested by supplier, who also suggested to use that special pump system to get correct mixture ration - would also strongly advice.

In the end used up all of the epoxy but did not apply it sparingly, as in the beginning I seem to have used too much, the excess then was on the board and the ground Embarassed . So you will get 3 normal and a frist generous - for soaking the calico - application out of the pack, I would assume.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down