Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiler scale

5 posters

Go down

Boiler scale Empty Boiler scale

Post  bazzer Sun 05 Sep 2021, 4:18 pm

Has anyone used scale remover in their boilers, if so is there a make that you would recommend.

Thanks Bazzer

bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Boiler scale Empty Re: Boiler scale

Post  Goliewogs Sun 05 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Hi Bazzer, Heritage steam sell water conditioner - just bought some today along with some universal steam oil. It seems ok! Ask Lynn what she uses and would recommend - I always have great respect for her recommendations!
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 05 Sep 2021, 10:32 pm

I used hitek's descaler https://www.hitek-ltd.co.uk/product-page/hsl-eco-descale-5-litres with good results on my early agri.

With good use of boiler treatment, the odd blow down and good use of a pressure washer in the plugs etc you shouldnt need to use it often, did mine after 12yrs, might do it again in a few years time depending on the boiler inspectors findings.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 06 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

Hi

After a period of running in hardwater area, I live in very soft water area. I used the Heritage Steam Descaler to remove the deposits.
My commercial inspector was always impressed by the condition in Crystal's boiler.

Just do as it says in the instructions. Also made a very interesting sound when I drained it out on the concrete path.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Steve Traill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Tue 07 Sep 2021, 11:21 am

I've got a STW 4.5" Foden to do and am looking at the the HITEK

https://www.hitek-ltd.co.uk/product-page/hsl-eco-descale-5-litres

and the HSS

https://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/dynamic-descaler-5l.html

Its a pretty manky boiler so i was thinking of going with the HSS version as it talks about more than just limescale and just giving it a good soak? The instructions dont really help other than keep dosing until the pH doesnt change.

Can you over soak/dose?

I'm guessing its used neat, which in that case it will need a full boiler full which makes it quite pricey!

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 07 Sep 2021, 7:59 pm

As far as I'm aware the Hitek stuff is the same as the HSS stuff, just cheaper.

You can use it neat for super power, or mix it 1 part descaler to 4 parts water for a slightly slower descale.

Also you can reuse it.......until the goodness is used up, I found it ran out of gumption on the 3rd use with the 1-4 mix.

I generally left it in until I couldnt hear it fizzing anymore, normally after after a few hours, drained it down (keeping it) then a good blast with the pressure washer and rinse out a few times with fresh water before refilling with fresh treated water. Do remember to refill the boiler with water and treatment as the descaler will strip off all that protection.

If the boiler is particularly cruddy then I'd go for a neat treat, I doubt you'll need to fill the boiler just make sure you can slosh it about well.

It WILL foam up so getting it in can be fun, I pumped in in through the front tube plate bung, after about a gallon going in it blew the pipe clean out of the bung hole and a 6 foot brown foam fountain poured out Embarassed

LiveSteam

iain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Boiler scale Empty :-)

Post  iain Wed 08 Sep 2021, 8:34 am

Thanks for that. The hitek stuff certainly is cheaper!

Its getting a hydraulic afterwards so i will make sure it is full of treatment. It will give the insides a good coating and then when its drained off to steam, that can all go into the feedwater.

iain

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 08 Sep 2021, 8:44 am

Must admit I tend not to put treated water into the tender, I find it bungs up the filter and makes my water valve very stiff after a while.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Boiler scale Empty ...

Post  iain Thu 09 Sep 2021, 3:38 pm

Ah fair enough, i'm only used to using it on full size. These arent my engines.

iain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down