Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany

4 posters

Go down

A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Empty A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany

Post  karl heinz marschner Wed 14 Apr 2021, 3:31 pm

My background:
Originally I come from Austria but have been living in Duesseldorf for almost 50 years. I have worked as an engineer and always dreamed about model working. Immediately after my retirement in year 2007 I started with it. I cannot spend too much time for it, but nevertheless feel pretty experienced in the meantime. My workshop includes a CNC-milling machine (Golmatic, made in Germany) and a Myford Super 7-lathe, for which I designed and built a CNC-control as well. Actually I am working on a 2 inch model of a Shand & Mason horse-driven cart for the fire brigades. Next year I hope it will get finished.
Fabricating all parts for a steam traction engine I would never have enough time, but this was my dream from the very beginning. So I was very happy to find out about Steam Traction World and last December I ordered the 2 inch Burrel. So I am working on two projects now. I am finished with the front wheels and the front axle.

Special tool for the ball shaped heads of the M3-screws:
To make the front wheels I did a lot of additional work. First I thought about those M3-bolts with the ball-shaped heads and the difficulty to handle them. So I built a special tool, which is shown in this photo:
A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Burrel13
It cannot replace a screwdriver, but it is very helpful, when you want to hold the ball-shaped head in place while fastening the nut with a wrench.

Steel belts:
I had ordered the front wheels without rubber tyres. Instead of those tyres I had to make special steel-belts going round the wheel rims. I used flat steel 25 x 2 mm, calculated the length very carefully, and machined the ends in a way, that they would not slide away during brazing. You can see this in the lower part of the photo above. To form the parts to a ring I used a crank-driven roller-bending-machine. The brazing with silver alloy worked perfectly. After some final grinding I had to use a hammer to fit the the steel-belt on to the rim. I did not need any adhesive. As I am not planning to drive the finished model a lot of kilometers around, there is no risk that the steel-belts become loose. The result you can see in the following photo.
A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Burrel14

There are some more ideas. I will tell about them in my next post. The system does not allow me to send more than two photos

karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Vapor likes this post

Back to top Go down

A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Empty Re: A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany

Post  milford59 Thu 15 Apr 2021, 4:40 pm

You are obviously very skilled and your ideas and execution are impressive. best of luck with the rest of your build !

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

karl heinz marschner likes this post

Back to top Go down

A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Empty Re: A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany

Post  elwood-59 Thu 15 Apr 2021, 4:55 pm

Hello and welcome!

A new face only about 50 km from where I live. Basketball

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

A new guy with some ideas from Duesseldorf, Germany Empty Thanks

Post  karl heinz marschner Thu 15 Apr 2021, 6:10 pm

milford59 wrote:You are obviously very skilled and your ideas and execution are impressive. best of luck with the rest of your build !

Thank you for your compliment and for your friendly wishes. During the next weeks I should better work my other project, the Shand Mason. But when it comes to the rear wheels I will be back again.
karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Back to top Go down

Post  karl heinz marschner Thu 15 Apr 2021, 6:16 pm

elwood-59 wrote:Hello and welcome!

A new face only about 50 km from where I live. Basketball

Cheers

Elwood

Oh, what a nice surprise to meet somebody not so far away. The machine in your foto, did you build that? When this Corona-Affair will ever come to an end, may be, we should get in contact. Are you German?
karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Thu 15 Apr 2021, 6:17 pm

Hi,

I‘ve sent you a private message

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 15 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm

Hi Karl

But when it comes to the rear wheels I will be back again.[/quote]

The rear wheels will be a lot of work as they have 5 different sized spokes.
Very interested to see how you tackle them.
Keep Posting the pictures and ideas.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

karl heinz marschner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down