Roller build so far

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Roller build so far - Page 2 Empty Re: Roller build so far

Post  MikeBelham on Sat 09 May 2020, 2:57 pm

Hi Simon, my limiting factor is space to keep them. Had you thought about a wagon? They look nice but even more difficult to decide where to put the seat.
Speaking of which, does the SCC kit come with a seat?, and what sort do you use?

Happy Building,

Mike
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Roller build so far - Page 2 Empty Roller build so far

Post  Simon B on Sat 09 May 2020, 5:35 pm

Hi Mike.

The SCC does come with a seat and foot rest, it was my final kit complete with the firing tools and firing instructions, but because of the winch rollers you tend to always bash your left shin. Also I didn't want to to cut a hole in the bottom of the coal bunker extension so modified the seat to hook on to the top with a piece of rubber so as not to damage the paint. This then made the seat to high, I felt like I was falling forward all of the time, so I cut off the loop below the seat to effectively lower it by about 3 inches. I also didn't like the way the seat just hooked on and rested on the back of the tender, I could see it really damaging the paint so once again I amended to seat to bolt into the two outer holes on the tow bracket. If you look at my thread in 'SSC build so far' I posted some pictures showing what I had done.

I'm thinking about buying a water bowser with a seat to spread the drivers weight between the rear wheel bearings and the bowser, but may just make a custom seat on a wheel that will be free to float up and down as the ground undulates. To be honest I haven't made my mind up which way to go yet, it's like you said the more bowsers and trailers you have its finding somewhere to store everything.

I hope the above helps.

Regards

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham on Sat 09 May 2020, 5:50 pm

Cheers Simon
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B on Sun 17 May 2020, 4:11 pm

Boiler cladding fitted today, time consuming to fit but managed not to scratch the paint, I also fitted the blower, brake assembly and a trial fit of the reversing lever.

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8417

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8415

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8416

I then refitted the steering, the shaft from the hand wheel to the worm drive lines up well and runs smoothly, but the scroll under the boiler does not quite align correctly. When the drive side is fitted and tightened up the other end is misaligned by about 1mm, and when I loosen the drive side and fit the other end and retighten everything up the steering goes very stiff indeed. The steering brackets are bolted to the hornplates which in turn are bolted to the boiler with no adjustment, have other people had this problem and if so how have you freed up the steering? Any advice would be most welcome.

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8419

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8418

Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  andysleigh on Sun 17 May 2020, 4:14 pm

looking great!

seriously tempted now...
andysleigh
andysleigh

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B on Mon 18 May 2020, 7:33 pm

Managed to use a friends lathe today to machine a groove in the crank to allow the drive gear to slide along the splines to disengage from the high gear.

First picture shows the crank before I machined the crank, the second shows the crank post machining.

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8338

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8420

I then machined the inside of the gear itself to make the recess 5mm deeper to allow the gear to slide into the recess in the bearing housing to allow the gears to be disengaged.

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8421

I still have a bit of a problem which will require more machining tomorrow, the diameter of the recess in the gear is to small to clear the bearing housing casting and is preventing the gears completely disengaging. The last photo shows that the gear can still slide another 3mm to disengage however the bearing casting is preventing it sliding far enough.

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8422

Its been a good day playing with a lathe, however rather than modifying myself I could have sent it back to STW who would have modified the parts for me.
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B on Tue 19 May 2020, 6:58 pm

I opened the inside of the gear out by 2mm and now it slides smoothly and disengages properly. Now to take the bearing housings out for painting Very Happy Very Happy

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8424

Roller build so far - Page 2 Img_8423
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2