Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New boy on the block!

+8
Adam.C
Will@STW
milford59
Synergyn9
GlenB
Nigel C
Mark building a burrell
Mark the spark
12 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Empty Steering

Post  Nigncoz Sat 20 Nov 2021, 7:36 pm

Thought I'd have a day in the garage before the weather changed having received the Steering Kit 15 the other day, all went well except for the washers holding the chain on the shaft were to big so interfered with the bolts holding the assembly on the fender, had to rework the thread on the Steering Wheel too.

When turning the Steering Wheel one way the Worm Screw screws itself tight against the bottom bracket, it's okay the other way. Do i have something wrong in the assembly? Did others resolve it somehow?

Nigncoz

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-03-24

Back to top Go down

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Empty Re: New boy on the block!

Post  Synergyn9 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:41 am

Hi All

Not done anything on the engine for a while as other things on. So I now have kits 19-21 waiting for my attention.

Before I get into those however, I really want to get my rear wheels on with the wheel collars. However whatever I do I cannot get everything on the axle and have clearance for the wheel collar pins.

I thought maybe with my lathe to slim the collars down to allow the pins to go in but even that is a no go as I would have to take so much off of the collars there would be no 'meat' left around the pin hole.

Have others faced this issue? If so how have you resolved? Or have I got an axle with insufficient spacing between the 2 pin holes?

Synergyn9

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2019-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark building a burrell Thu 23 Dec 2021, 9:03 am

I had to put the gear in my lathe and remove around 2mm to make the collars fit as you can't take enough material form the collars

Mark building a burrell

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2018-11-20

Synergyn9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Synergyn9 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 10:42 am

Thanks Mark, I will take a look at that option. Guess we are fortunate to have lathes, if you don't, how do you cope?

Which gear did you take the 2mm off? I'm thinking maybe take 1-1.5mm off of each side?

Synergyn9

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark building a burrell Thu 23 Dec 2021, 1:24 pm

I just machined the outside faceNew boy on the block! - Page 6 Screen10

Mark building a burrell

Synergyn9 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark building a burrell Thu 23 Dec 2021, 1:26 pm

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Screen11

Mark building a burrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Synergyn9 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 1:29 pm

Thanks Mark, will let you know how I get on Very Happy

When you say from the outside surface, I presume you just mean the hub, not whole face including gear teeth?

Synergyn9

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark building a burrell Thu 23 Dec 2021, 1:31 pm

Yes just the hub

Mark building a burrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Synergyn9 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 6:49 pm

Mark

All done, ended up taking 2mm off of the side you did and then a further 1mm on the other side. All now looks to be ok Very Happy

Synergyn9

Back to top Go down

Post  Synergyn9 Tue 11 Jan 2022, 12:07 pm

Next question. I have started on the water pump assembly and I am putting together the pump ram.

I am presuming that the ram bush (BU22135) should slide all the way to the stop inside the ram (BU22137) and then the fixing countersunk screw is shortened to the correct length to hold the ram bush snug, allowing no horizontal movement of the bush within the ram. The only movement being the limited rotation of the water pump rod (BU22138) around the ram pin (BU22136).

Currently my ram bush does not bottom out and with the fixing countersunk screw in place, I have horizonal movement.

Hope this makes sense. Could someone confirm my thinking is correct before I ease the ram bush and shorten the countersunk screw.

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Img_0411

Synergyn9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Tue 11 Jan 2022, 12:23 pm

Hi

You may need to file the end of the countersink screw as it sounds like it is bottoming out in the hole in the end of the little end bushing or catching the little end.

Yes the bush needs to go the full length in to the ram cavity. Remember to put a pop mark to lock the countersink in place.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Synergyn9 Tue 11 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm

Thanks Lynn

Synergyn9

Back to top Go down

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Empty Steam Head Assy

Post  Nigncoz Fri 14 Jan 2022, 3:27 pm

Hi All,
I have been trying to fix the steam head along with the associate pipe (BU21622+3). Fitted as per the Instructions but had to fit both ends of the pipe which meant the steam head was about 5mm away from the spectacle plate so when tightened on the bolts to take up the gap the brass bolts broke!

A phone call to Lynn put me back on path, heating up the pipe to make it soft should allow me to draw it in with replacement bolts that is of course.

Thanks Lynn for your help, wish someone had told us you had replaced Will on Technical Support to safe. Good Luck in your newish role.

Nigel

Nigncoz

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Fri 14 Jan 2022, 3:38 pm

Hi

I did not want to make a big deal of it. Glad to help.

I have spoken with Dean and he recons the pipe should be annealed as so short with getting the ferrules soldered on.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Nigncoz likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigncoz Thu 10 Feb 2022, 12:26 pm

Hi All, had a right mare fitting the nuts on the bolts on the steam head but treating myself to watchmakers tweezers solved that.
Had an issue with the key slot on the crankshaft to fit to the eccentrics too, a quick phone call to Lynn confirmed it had to go back for a rework, picked up on Tuesday and returned to me this morning, reworked and the eccentrics fitted. How's that for service Very Happy Thanks to Lynn and all at STW

Nigncoz

Lynn@STW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigncoz Tue 12 Apr 2022, 8:31 pm

Been taking advantage of the nice weather and got quite a bit done.
New boy on the block! - Page 6 Img_0014

Stuck now because, as others, the axle hole is covered by the hub on the left hand side, took the axle spacer off and filed down the bolt heads that the gear caught on but still didn't get enough axle length. Lynn kindly supplied all the measurements and dimensions to see if i had got anything wrong but all measured up correctly so now a little stuck as what to do, any suggestions please?

Still some bits to go on but not had Kit16b yet so on hold for that as well.

Nigncoz

Back to top Go down

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Empty Kit16b onwards

Post  Nigncoz Wed 16 Nov 2022, 4:30 pm

Hi All,
Sorry for not posting for a while.

I have often wondered why there aren't many posts for when you get into the nitty gritty of the build, there seems to be many posts after the excitement of starting on the wheels etc and when it all starts to come together and actually looking like an engine. Now I can see why, you go into the garage looking forward to the next stage, then trying on the parts, but gets really disappointing and frustrating when Kit after Kit arrives and then so many parts need fettling which takes ages.

Although I have now learnt many things like shortening bolts etc and it's essential to take your time and read the instructions as many times as you can but understanding the drawings is a must, then of course there is the help from Lynn who is invaluable and I've probably drove mad after asking so many questions.  Rolling Eyes

The only real problem I had was the bolts in the top of the Water Pump. No matter how I tried I couldn't get them to go in straight, then somehow  managed to break one bolt in the hole, which I couldn't get out and then tapping the rest of the holes broke the tap in the hole again couldn't get it out, bolted it down using the last 2 bolts because they are opposite. Hope it holds. Learnt that Amazon isn't the place to get precision tools! affraid

If I can offer any advice on fitting the brake, fit the bottom first otherwise you keep losing the other end when going around the drum.

Eventually you do end up with a good looking engine, although I have 2 kits to go I'm really pleased with the finish. Very Happy

I'm now up to the stage where I am supposed to be testing on air which makes a mockery of making your engine with general workshop tools. I have received the Blanks to fit but the instructions are pretty basic if not vague and it doesn't tell you where to fit a compressor, not that I have one.

New boy on the block! - Page 6 Img_0212
New boy on the block! - Page 6 Img_0210
New boy on the block! - Page 6 Img_0211

So my question is: do I go to the expense of purchasing a compressor, even though I know nothing about them and don't know what I'm looking for and probably won't use it again. Is it an important stage in the build?

Nigncoz

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Wed 16 Nov 2022, 8:42 pm

Nigncoz wrote:

So my question is: do I go to the expense of purchasing a compressor, even though I know nothing about them and don't know what I'm looking for and probably won't use it again. Is it an important stage in the build?

Firstly Nigel   "Do I go to the expense of purchasing a compressor"

Running the engine on air is for convenience more than anything else!
Raising steam will take around 45 minutes and if you encounter any isues you will need to let the fire down and allow the engine to cool and depressurise before you can correct any problem.
Air testing on the other hand takes only a few seconds to pressurise and depressurise the engine, and it won't be screaming hot to work on.
The 2" engine doesn't require much in the way of air volume to run so only a small compressor would be required.

"Is it an important stage in the build?"

It is not vital to test on air no but how confident are you that you won't encounter any problems?
Do you know anyone with a compressor that could help ?
Lastly, the most convenient place to get the air in is through the blowdown valve on the 2" engine.

When I finished Patricia I ran her on air and used the water pump to fill the boiler ready for the first steaming.
This told me that the water pump would work when in steam, not being able to get enough water in the boiler could be a disaster especially for the fuse plug.

Ok enough rambling, I know I have in places answered Questions with Questions but hopefully they will help you make the decision.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 16 Nov 2022, 9:23 pm

As Simon says its more for convenience than essential, be aware though the chances are it will leak like a sieve on air compared to steam as the two are totally different.

For utter cheapness theres nothing wrong with trying a 12v car tyre inflator, take the end off that would go on the tyre valve and use a jubilee clip on the blow down valve and see if you can get 40-80psi in the boiler. It wont run the engine for long, maybe a dozen revolutions before you'll be out of air but it will prove the point, but if there are a good few leaks you may struggle to even make any pressure with such a small pump but I have seen it done before with a cheap 12v car tyre inflator Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigncoz Thu 17 Nov 2022, 2:46 pm

Thanks for your responses guy's. I've found this one at Machine Mart but like i said i know nothing about them, would it do?
Clarke Monza 6.35cfm 1.5HP Portable Oil Free Air Compressor it says it does 8bar/115 psi any good? Thanks

Nigncoz

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 18 Nov 2022, 9:30 am

look like it will work Nigel.
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 24 Nov 2022, 6:59 pm

Nigncoz wrote:Thanks for your responses guy's. I've found this one at Machine Mart but like i said i know nothing about them, would it do?
Clarke Monza 6.35cfm 1.5HP Portable Oil Free Air Compressor it says it does 8bar/115 psi any good? Thanks

Yeah that should do OK, just remember that without any reservoir you may not get much run time but will be better than a smaller 12v tyre inflation ones.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigncoz Thu 01 Dec 2022, 2:19 pm

Thanks for your help guy's.

I've asked Santa because it's gone too cold to do anything now. Lets see if he helps!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Merry Christmas to you all>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nigncoz

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 02 Dec 2022, 10:17 pm

Remember to air doesn't tend to carry oil very well in to the cylinder compared to steam so be wary of running for extended duration on air.

Thats if it does run of course and you dont end up chasing air leaks, often you'll find it will leak like a sieve on air yet steam it will be fine, so dont get too hung up on air leaks when you get them (bar big ones of course) as you'll be trying to run it at ambient where as in steam everything will be upwards of 150C or more and expansion will seal a lot up.

Happy Christmas

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6