Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coal in the UK

+2
Will@STW
andrewjherbert
6 posters

Go down

Coal in the UK Empty Coal in the UK

Post  andrewjherbert Fri 21 Feb 2020, 11:00 am

I was disturbed to hear on the BBC morning news that the sale of bagged coal is going to be banned by the UK government from next year. This seems to be mostly aimed at coal and wood burning stoves which are highly polluting if they burn some fuels, such as coal and wet wood. In future only smokeless coals and dried wood are to be permitted.

While I have only just finished kit 1, this makes me wonder what I am going to use to fuel my Burrell when it is complete in 2022? I'm tempted to get a supply now of fuel while it is still available. What is the recommended source of coal for these engines, and roughly how much might an owner expect to burn in a year? (I know the last bit is rather a "how long is a piece of string" question, but a hint from others would be helpful).

Thanks

Andrew
andrewjherbert
andrewjherbert

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-01-24

Back to top Go down

Coal in the UK Empty Re: Coal in the UK

Post  Will@STW Fri 21 Feb 2020, 1:50 pm

andrewjherbert wrote:I was disturbed to hear on the BBC morning news that the sale of bagged coal is going to be banned by the UK government from next year.  This seems to be mostly aimed at coal and wood burning stoves which are highly polluting if they burn some fuels, such as coal and wet wood.  In future only smokeless coals and dried wood are to be permitted.

While I have only just finished kit 1, this makes me wonder what I am going to use to fuel my Burrell when it is complete in 2022?  I'm tempted to get a supply now of fuel while it is still available.  What is the recommended source of coal for these engines, and roughly how much might an owner expect to burn in a year?  (I know the last bit is rather a "how long is a piece of string" question, but a hint from others would be helpful).

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I think it is safe to say that the details of the ban still have to be ironed out, groups such as the NTET are already putting out statements to say that they are looking at ways to find a source of coal for traction engine owners alongside the rest of the Heritage Fuels Alliance. I would suggest talking to them to see what they are planning and if there are going to be any major issues.

The 2" obviously won't burn as much coal as the 4", and the 4" can use one bag over the course of a weekend at a rally.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 21 Feb 2020, 2:20 pm

The ban does not include smokeless coal like Welsh steam coal . I have also used charcoal in the past and don't forget heating pellets . I will also say in America its more common to use LPG and diesel in steam models and there are companies that supply burner kits so no need to panic yet

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 21 Feb 2020, 5:07 pm

Hi,

Personally i think its scare mongering of the highest order. Yes they will ban 'dirty' coal and 'wet' wood for wood burners etc but i'm sure they are saying currently it's only going to banned for home use and will not effect the 'heritage' side of things. I thought i even read a statement somewhere which said you won't even need a permit for the heritage side and they are just going to allow it. Smokeless coal and dry wood (seasoned) is still going to be allowed to be used.

From a business perspective, the way the news people 'twist' the headlines to make it sound a bigger deal than it is, is pretty annoying as it could for no reason whatsoever have a detrimental effect to us. I'm pretty confident that people like the NTET or Heritage Rail or Heritage Trust people will have something to say and we'll all be fine. I'm certainly not worried.

I used smokeless coal already so it won't make any difference from that perspective.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Fri 21 Feb 2020, 6:29 pm

This is straight from the horse's mouth, no 'twisted media headlines':

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-takes-action-to-cut-pollution-from-household-burning

He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 21 Feb 2020, 6:35 pm

Cheers. Clearly states ‘in the home’

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Fri 21 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

The text is not very clear, but this is worrying:

Sales of all bagged traditional house coal will be phased out by February 2021, and the sale of loose coal direct to customers via approved coal merchants by February 2023. This will give industry, suppliers and households the time to adapt to the new rules.

I interpret that as no sale of coal to any private individuals in three years.

Edit:

The policy that was published today was preceded by a consultation, the summary of which can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/air-quality-using-cleaner-fuels-for-domestic-burning/outcome/summary-of-responses-and-government-response

There's nothing in there about steam modelling, but there's a notable quote on heritage railways:

Some parties have highlighted their concerns about the impact of our proposals on the heritage rail sector. Since the consultation, some have asked for heritage railways to be exempted from the proposed requirements. The government fully understands the importance of our nation’s heritage industry sectors that use coal as a source of fuel. As set out in the consultation, the proposals relate to fuels used for the purpose of domestic combustion, and will not apply to other uses such as for heritage railways. An exemption is not required for this use to continue.

I foresee a lively, behind the shed coal trade from UK heritage railways to steam modellers in the not too distant future...

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sun 23 Feb 2020, 8:36 am

I can see where is says it won’t be available for sale to private individuals but can’t see anything in there about it not being allowed to be supplied free of charge!! (by STW as part of the purchase or as part of a monthly support subscription!!) 😂😂

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Mon 24 Feb 2020, 8:55 am

I think it is important to remember that this only applies to traditional house coal and wet wood, and will not affect the ability to purchase from the likes of Andy Holmes who sells welsh steam coal. Any form of smokeless coal (which welsh dry is) will not be affected by this law, and thankfully most rallies already supply this type of coal. It is now up to us as steam enthusiasts to not give the government or the public any reason to target the remaining coal and wood supplies, and to be sensible with our engines. I have no doubt that all of our customers are very good in this respect, and wont give the government such a reason. Meanwhile the NTET along with the rest of the Heritage Fuels Alliance are trying there best to organize a sustainable source of coal for our movement. Where the report talks about heritage railways it does in fact include us (unfortunately we are still such a small part of the movement that the government overlooks us a little). They do also name road steam engines in section 6.7, under the subtitle "Impact on heritage steam sector." The best thing for us to do is to join a club like the NTET to increase the number of people they represent (talking on behalf of 2000 people makes nowhere near as much impact as talking on behalf of 20000).

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:32 pm

I think the two things which will come out of this will be :-

1) Quality Smokeless Coal i.e. Welsh Dry, will become much more expensive Crying or Very sad
2) The days of freebie coal at rallies is likely to be far less Crying or Very sad

While this ban isnt ideal for our hobby, personally I would be far more concerned if I was a vintage vehicle owner with the push on electric vehicles, with the ban on fossil fueled vehicles in 15yrs, the move away from liquid fossil fuel will happen fairly rapidly after that and while today an EV driver has to hunt about a bit for a rapid charger very quickly it will be the liquid fossil fuel driver who will be hunting about for a filling station that has liquid pumps rather than electric charge pumps.

We can at least chuck any random articles in our firebox which may or may not be ideal but will generally raise steam one way or another, where as whats your classic car owner going to do when there isnt anywhere selling petrol Shocked

Interesting times are coming.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down